Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Other options to be a positive influence on children

(1 Post)
sarabell4 Sun 14-May-17 17:40:23

I am still trying to decide whether to have a child or not. i am very much on the fence and I don't want to regret my decision either way. I need to do some thinking on this and I am giving myself a year to ponder back and forth as I turn 30 in a few months (I change my mind literally daily, sometimes hourly!).

I have just been thinking, that if I decide I am not 100% on having my own kids, how I can be a positive influence in other children's lives. I'm not thinking about permanent adoption/fostering but other ways I can interact and be a good 'mentor' I guess?

I have no siblings and my partner's sibling is unlikely to have children either. So I won't have the opportunity to become an aunt which I would love. None of my close friends have children yet, though a few 'acquaintances' do, and I am not sure how close a relationship I will develop with them.

Are there other avenues to look into? Volunteering? Mentoring? other ways to have some involvement in looking after children and being a good role model, but without that permanent commitment I am unsure about at this time? I'm not really sure where to look to find this information. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now