Talk

Advanced search

WWYD? Take 6 yr old out of school?

(7 Posts)
Mehfruittea Fri 12-May-17 18:25:04

For MIL's 80th birthday, she is suggesting we all go away together. I've suggested the nearest half term to her birthday, but it's 4 weeks away. She wants to go actually on her birthday.

Would you take your 6 yr old out for 1 week for this reason. He's never off sick or late, but we did take him out for 2 days for a long weekend away. We had no choice in the dates so rather than turn down a free holiday, we took him out.

I don't want to make a habit of it, but there would be about 6 months between the two holidays. What would you do? Is time with Grandma and celebrating such a special birthday more important than school? Gut feel says Grandma but want some perspective. TIA

LoveB Fri 12-May-17 18:26:46

I wouldn't. I think your MIL is being unreasonable, if she wants him there it should be in half term

Sirzy Fri 12-May-17 18:28:41

No.

Your MIL needs to decide which is more important - having you all there or having it on the day.

Hoppinggreen Fri 12-May-17 18:30:47

I probably would depending on exactly when it was.
I would also expect to be fined and pay up without complaint if I was

DitchCamille Fri 12-May-17 18:33:57

No I wouldn't and I'm not even against term time holidays generally. It's just such a poor reason. A week for a Grandmother's birthday.

CatsInKilts Fri 12-May-17 18:41:03

I wouldn't.

A week off for someone else's birthday celebration is too much.

Mehfruittea Fri 12-May-17 22:03:47

Thank you all. I felt like I was BU and awkward about it. I will have a word with DH and get him to tell his mum. I totally understand she wasn't to be away for her birthday, otherwise it doesn't quite feel the same.

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now