Talk

Advanced search

Would you let 5 year old push baby in pram??

(13 Posts)
Jasmin87 Thu 11-May-17 17:07:09

My son goes to a small village school, where there are loads of those prenetious judgy type parents.
Today I go with my newborn in her pram to pick my son up who's in reception. All the little girls in his class are flocking round this pink silvercross pram like it's Christmas, asking to push my pram. I didn't think much of it. (Maybe I'm too relaxed) and let couple of the girls have a little push of her around the playground.
Then a couple of the mothers say something to me." I shouldn't be so irresponsible she's a newborn they could have tipped it over and the babies head smashed open on concrete." Now I've just come home and cried my eyes out. What would you think if you were stood watching? I didn't see harm. But now I think I shouldn't have done it am this awful parent putting my newborn at harm like that.

Ummmmgogo Thu 11-May-17 17:09:03

I let my two year old push her little brother and no-one judged me. I think you were just unlucky that there was a random bitch on the playground. Congratulations on your baby xxx

Jasmin87 Thu 11-May-17 17:11:08

Thank you 😀. I suppose it's a hormonal time where I really over think situations. It's a sturdy pram and I was supervising. I never thought about her falling out. Suppose I don't know the kids like my own to know they wouldn't tip it or anything.

Sparklingbrook Thu 11-May-17 17:12:13

Yes I would. Why would they suddenly tip the pram over? confused

robinia Thu 11-May-17 17:14:50

Definitely. And even more so if it was baby's brother or sister. Obviously closely supervised.
My only hesitation would be if I didn't know the child well.

MackerelOfFact Thu 11-May-17 17:18:18

How the hell would a 5-year-old manage to tip over a Silver Cross pram with enough force for the baby to come flying out?!

They were being deliberately mean. Probably jealous of your lovely new baby. Congratulations! flowers

Jasmin87 Thu 11-May-17 17:18:44

One of the girls I knew then her friend asked I didn't know and I felt bad and agreed. In hindsight the safety of my daughter should be paramount to a 5 year old with puppy dog eyes but at time I didnt think would be issue.

spacecowboy99 Thu 11-May-17 17:18:45

My 5 year old likes to push her toddler sister's buggy. We have an "only down the lane not on pavements near the road" rule which works as a nice compromise on the school run.

If you'd meant down the street I would think it unwise, but in the school playground, supervised by you, so long as they were being gentle, is absolutely fine. And none of her business, what a nasty interfering cow!

Jasmin87 Thu 11-May-17 17:20:31

Thanks MackerelOfFact. I think as parents we naturally do think of worst case scenario that just didn't enter my head. I've liked enough shopping on prams in my time to know how resilient they are. 😂

Jasmin87 Thu 11-May-17 17:22:29

They playground is all fenced in and obviously I was watching to make sure they weren't too eager. What makes matters worse is my HV is a parent who was watching all this so me being me is worried what would she's be thinking of me. 🙈

wheresthel1ght Sat 13-May-17 09:18:11

I happily allow my 3 year old to push her baby cousin, my friend allowed her to push her 9 week old around at a birthday party recently. Not a judgy pant hoiking anywhere.

You were there, watching, supervising. Nothing untoward was going to happen. You did a lovely thing and probably made those girls year! Ignore the uptight, broom handle up arse brigade and carry on!

Mrscog Sat 13-May-17 09:22:42

Of course it's ok - it wouldn't be ok in every situation - by a road/river/cliff edge etc but a lovely thing to do in a controlled place. The other parents sound neurotic!

Sandsnake Sat 13-May-17 09:26:09

What's wrong with some people? Always looking to find a problem. The fact that these children were excited about your baby and wanted to push the pram is lovely and completely normal. The fact that you let them is lovely and completely normal. It is these small interactions with each other that is how a community / society is formed. It is the petty, mean minded, sneery attitude of the other woman that is why people think they won't bother interacting with others as it's just too much hassle. Please don't let it bother you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now