Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours almost daily garden d I y

(10 Posts)
ginorwine Wed 10-May-17 11:36:32

Our neigbour has retired early
Since then he has been building a studio at the end of the garden
It's been over a year now and has spoilt the garden for us with hammering , drilling etc .
They cross our garden to bring materials into theirs too
As we were going into the second summer of this and he clearly is not near finishing we met up and agreed we could have one day off a week - Sunday - so that my husband who has a v stressful job - can have downtime in the garden
Neighbours at the other side complain to us but don't say anything
Last night my husband , who was over tired and returning to yet another noisey session saw red and went round - he said it's now affecting his wellbeing and he doesn't feel as relaxed at home .. I texted neigbour to say from a logical point of view we both want our wants met in that neigbour wants to build and we want some quiet periods and that one party gets what they want 6 days a week , the other one day and maybe we need to look at changing that a bit
I did say that we shd have said before but we didn't realise the long term impact of noise ( if it's 6 months you kno it's going to have end date ) and the frequency coupled with the fact that he has now told us there is def no end in sight as he plans further work straight after this ... he likes it etc ...
do you think we are explaining this to neighbours ok and is there anything else that you wd do to help matters ? Thanks

timeisnotaline Wed 10-May-17 11:38:38

If you can't agree, for one thing there should be no more crossing your garden.

preproombabe Wed 10-May-17 11:46:31

As your neighbour has retired, I don't think it would be unreasonable to request that he refrains from doing noisy jobs in the evenings and at weekends. He is able to carry out these jobs during weekdays as he is not working. Any reasonable person would see the fairness of that if it were approached in the right way.

However, you need to keep him on side if possible, as really he can do what he wants when he wants, you can't stop him you can only try to persuade him!

ginorwine Wed 10-May-17 12:42:09

Thanks
The crossing of the garden is in the deeds
It's a right of way fur bins etc - long established ..

loveka Wed 10-May-17 12:54:41

We had this for over a year so I totally sympathise. 7 days a week, angle grinders, hammering and drilling. Huge bonfires all day and night. You get the picture.

Have a look on your council website as there are guidelines on there for what is deemed acceptable.

Then try to reason with him sensibly, even though your blood is boiling.
If he won't change, depending on your local council rules, you could go to the council and try to get them to come round.

Our council did nothing, but I don't think we were tenacious enough with them.

We are moving now. Mainly because I can't stay living near someone who has such a blatant disregard for other people. He actually told us he was doing it vindictively to punish us for complaining!!!

Another close neighbour also moved.

Both of us thought we were in our forever dream house. It's really sad that neighbours can have such a huge impact.

MrsGWay Wed 10-May-17 13:02:27

Look at your council's website for advice. This is my council's stance.

DIY
Most people have jobs which need doing around the home, especially if they have just moved in, or are redecorating. We also have to accept that many people have jobs during the day and need to do DIY work in the evenings and at weekends. However, this does not give them permission to annoy neighbours at all hours of the day and night or for the work to simply go on and on. We all have to be reasonable to live together.

DIY works are, in general, short lived small projects which would be expected to be undertaken by non-professionals. If you are undertaking a large, long term (more than 2 weeks) project please see the advice regarding Construction Noise below.

If you are planning to carry out noisy DIY on your home, warn your neighbours well in advance and let them know:

What you are planning
How long you expect the work to continue.
The times you will be doing the work (we recommend that you only carry out noisy work between 9:00am and 8:00pm and try to ensure that noisy works are undertaken in the middle of this time period).
If you need to carry out noisy work outside these hours, please speak to your neighbours and come to an agreement about when the work can be carried out.
If your neighbour has children or other special requirements please take these in to account when deciding on the times you want to work and discuss this with your neighbour.
Also invite your neighbours to knock on the door to let you know if the noise is causing them a problem (and be prepared to stop!)

So your neighbour would have to comply with the following

Construction/demolition
Generally construction and demolition sites are noisy places and often it is a case of balancing allowing the work to be undertaken as quickly as possible, against the needs of local residents and the enjoyment of their property.

There are occasions when the work is undertaken either outside of acceptable times or is excessively noisy and on these occasions, you should approach the Environmental Protection Team who will be able to advise what can be done. Contact the Environmental Protection Team using either our Report a Noise Complaint form or via the telephone number **.

Hours of operation for construction and demolition

Whilst there are no hours set out in law we recommend the following hours of operation for noisy work:

Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm
Saturdays 9am - 2pm
No noisy work* on Sundays or Bank Holidays
Where noisy operations or works outside these hours are unavoidable, or where work is expected to continue for long periods, liaise with local residents and the Environmental Health department so that everyone is kept informed and knows who to contact should problems arise.

*Please note this does not stop work taking place on the site providing it is not audible beyond the site boundary.

There are occasions when construction work is unavoidable at sensitive times (for example rail works). We will always try to work with operators to ensure the public is informed of the likely times they may be disturbed.

fannydaggerz Wed 10-May-17 13:16:55

I told my neighbour when I was drilling holes to hang my tv bracket up. I can't imagine someone being that rude that they would carry on regardless.

I'm sorry OP.

ginorwine Wed 10-May-17 15:39:37

Thanks fanny
He has to keep going now he has stated I guess but I wish he wd give us a break
He said
'I like doing it '

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 10-May-17 15:45:23

Can you maybe try and direct him towards a community project that needs help? I know when my DF retired he almost did something where 'neighbour's' go and do handymen jobs for people who need them as he can do plumbing and electrics etc, maybe something like that?!

Sounds hellish wine

ginorwine Wed 10-May-17 16:12:08

Dartmoor
Good idea ! However he has given the idea that he has lotscto do at home - he soent a week pressure washing all the pavements and some fences - he is slow and meticulous and what wd take me to do in a day it takes him a week ... eg his rezyvling takes ages , very slow and very ordered . His previous girlfriend has said he drove he mad and that he is very obstinate . .....he will also do things like sit in the garden removing nails from old bits of wood with an electric tool all methodical and calm whilst I'm afraid I'm nearly in tears - like torture !!!! I admit I've become very sensitised .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now