Talk

Advanced search

Cycling on the road

(5 Posts)
lorisparkle Sat 29-Apr-17 08:09:43

Ds1 is 10years old and not long joined scouts. They are planning a cycle ride in June. I am quite concerned about him going and wanted some opinions. So the ride is 12 miles in total leaving at 6.30pm. We would have to cycle 2 miles to the start point. The roads are country lanes and a little hilly. Ds1 has done his cycling proficiency test at school but has minimal experience on the road. They have not specified the level of staffing or their experience in leading a cycling activity. They have said parents are welcome but not essential.

So would you let him go?

Acornantics Sat 29-Apr-17 08:28:25

I think I'd want to know more details first, and I'd probably consider volunteering as an adult helper. I'd need to know how many kids were cycling, and who would be there with them, and know the route too.

Cycling on the road makes me nervous because of the speed of passing drivers, and if a child isn't confident on the road and has a wobble, it could be dangerous.

My DSs cycle a mile to high school and back every day but it's all on a cycle path apart from one short bit, which is a residential road.

Can you practice more on roads with DS before the event?

BrexitSucks Sat 29-Apr-17 08:46:28

When I was involved w/ Scouts/Cubs they were planning a ride like this. The planning that went into it was huge. You need to talk to the leaders.

dementedma Sat 29-Apr-17 08:50:19

Young children on bikes on the road are in danger. The danger can be minimised or managed but it only takes one wobble or unexpected swerve to put them in front of a car. I wouldn't let mine do it.

lorisparkle Sat 29-Apr-17 09:51:20

Thanks everyone. I think I will email the leaders to get a bit more information. There will be quite a large group cycling and wondered if they would need to discuss that with the local police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now