Talk

Advanced search

School run dilema

(13 Posts)
caramelnibbler Sat 22-Apr-17 20:38:14

Be gentle new to this. 1ds in school out of catchment we asked for place there as anxious child and small school (20 in class)compared to local school double class intake.Seen by behavioural specialist as struggled to settle, now very settled. ds2 not got place as now oversubscribed and out of catchment. Has place local school trying to work out two drop offs and pickups 5 miles apart at same time. Tried local child minders so far 6 have replied with no room. From what i can work out breakfast club doesn't start at ds2 school until 7.45 and i will be late for work start time not flexible. Husband starts work on time 8 am to finish early for pick up unable to change this either. Any suggestions what to do? Also concerned both Ds will be upset at not in same school and can't change ds1 school as finally settled. Feel incredibly stressed by this at moment no friends or parents nearby who can help. What would you do?

DirtyBlonde Sat 22-Apr-17 20:41:53

If you have space, get an au pair.

It hire someone as a before school nanny.

Ot hebae you DGPH negotiate to change his work times and incpvestigate after school care options.

SherbertLemon2011 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:42:34

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I would do but I just wanted to suggest ds2 was on the waiting list for ds1 school as you never know.

pileoflaundry Sat 22-Apr-17 20:48:44

How many years will both DC be at different schools? Would it be worth, and possible, moving house to be closer to DS1's school, and therefore increase the chance of DS2 getting in?

caramelnibbler Sat 22-Apr-17 20:52:52

Haven't got space for au pair unfortunately, dh can finish early but not start earlier or later we both looked at flexible working when ds1 started school.
I can be 30 mins late but no more and 7.45 would mean with traffic I'd be in too late. Ds2 on waiting list but big new estate being built in catchment of school village so not holding out much hope. The days i work both will have to be in wrap around care but will struggle to afford extra on 2 days i don't work as part time and calculated things on no childcare costs on those days.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:53:04

That sounds very stressful, however you have a good few months to sort something out. Keep in touch with childminders as they may have a free place opening up.

I sympathise with your ds settling. I requested out of catchment school for anxious dd, supported by professionals. She didn't get in and had to go to 3 form entry catchment school. Luckily she has settled there (although still has problens). I would have had the same problem as you with dd2, if dd1 had got into preferred school.

caramelnibbler Sat 22-Apr-17 20:56:12

Unfortunately small village with very expensive houses we can't afford. I know situation is of our making but tried to do right thing for ds1 and now after year and half and behavioural teacher intervention he is settled so can't move him. Ds1 in year 1 Ds2 reception from September they're in 1st school so 3 years in different schools before ds1 goes to middle school.

ToffeeCaramel Sat 22-Apr-17 20:56:54

Do you know where you are on the waiting list for ds1 school?

caramelnibbler Sat 22-Apr-17 21:00:26

Lea won't tell me where ds2 is on waiting list only that he's on it and they will reassess things when everyone has accepted or rejected places. Small school only 20 in reception and rural so think it's unlikely we will get in. Especially as houses being built in catchment & so likely people will move in apply and be above us on list.

caramelnibbler Sat 22-Apr-17 21:03:28

Thanks for all your suggestions though and being gentle much appreciated.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 22-Apr-17 22:13:24

Have you appealed? You do have rather special circumstances.

Growuphelen Sat 22-Apr-17 22:18:30

Where does DC 2 go now ? Could you hold off him starting school ?

Leopard12 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:57:34

I would just advise to keep trying childminders and if they say no ask if they'll keep your contact details incase their situation changes and if there's anyone they can recommend, ask the school or anyone in the area if they know any local childminders, further out of town might still be able to drop off either St breakfast club or if they have no other school.aged kids. there's a nursey near me that's linked to a school and they do before school for infants but I'd expect you'd know about it by now if there was one. If you don't get a school place, a childminder or anyone you can ask then your only option is for one of you to change hours/jobs/sahp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now