Talk

Advanced search

WWYD with a horrible soft toy gift?

(13 Posts)
BlueBlue22 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:01:12

I am sure that there have been countless similar posts to this, but my MIL has given our 6 month old baby a mouse soft toy. It's one off those Diddle things if anyone knows what that is. Anyway it's horrible to begin with but it's also dirty and stained because it used to belong to my DH's niece. To put this into context I am not ungrateful, I am usually very grateful for gifts, but this is just a bit crap. I don't know what to do with it, should I wait a few weeks then make it disappear? Should I say the cat threw up on it and I just had to throw it away cos I couldn't clean it?

SoloDance Sat 22-Apr-17 18:02:23

Can't you bung it in the washer?

elQuintoConyo Sat 22-Apr-17 18:03:07

Bin it.

Don't mention it again.

If she asks where it is, just say 'oh it's around here somewhere...' and vaguely wave your hand.

If she gets arsey, get DP to deal with her.

bigchris Sat 22-Apr-17 18:03:18

I'd bin it and say she dropped it out of the pram and you didn't notice

BlueBlue22 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:05:28

I should have mentioned, this damn toy is big! About the size of a 10 month old baby approx

Northgate Sat 22-Apr-17 18:06:56

DS2 lost his comforter once when we were out. It fell out of the pushchair and by the time I noticed, it had been picked up. Luckily it was reunited with DS2 after desperate pleas on local FB pages.

Wouldn't it be a shame if something like that were to happen to the second hand toy mouse? Especially if the person who found it didn't spot your appeals for it to be returned......

Northgate Sat 22-Apr-17 18:07:45

Although if this mouse is bigger than your baby, it might be difficult to accidentally drop it out of a pushchair.

BlueBlue22 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:11:34

Northgate yeah it's too big to go in a pram. I think I'll wait a few weeks then throw it in the loft. MIL won't make a fuss or ask where it is.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 24-Apr-17 10:17:29

Coffee spillage and boil wash??

Then bin.
Sadly. . .

HuntingSquirrels Mon 24-Apr-17 10:29:16

Do you/friend have a dog who would be willing to dispatch the offending item? My Labrador would make very quick work of it grin

averylongtimeago Mon 24-Apr-17 10:33:15

Either an obliging dog, I too can offer mine, or poonami followed by a boil wash.....

ShelaghTurner Mon 24-Apr-17 10:38:59

Aw they're quite sweet. Which one is it?

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Apr-17 10:39:51

Bin it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now