Advanced search

Would you report?

(9 Posts)
Notreallysurewhatimdoing Fri 21-Apr-17 22:32:58

I'm not sure if it is fraud as I'm not sure what the rules are. I have a friend let's call him John. He and his wife have been living abroad for the past few years as expats.
She is now pregnant and has come over a few times for antenatal care and will be having the baby here even though he will go back to work abroad and from what I gather she will go back once the baby is older. (Silly set up I know)
So my question is are they entitled to free healthcare

TenThousandSpoons Fri 21-Apr-17 22:38:05

Hmm not sure - maybe depends from which country? (EU fine I guess.) Distant family members did this (usually live in kenya) and ended up with a huge medical bill from NHS but think it was because they didn't have the right travel insurance when she travelled over for the birth.

Heratnumber7 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:43:16

Alas it's legal. But immoral.
Happens A LOT though.

PaperdollCartoon Fri 21-Apr-17 22:44:12

Yep perfectly legal

ImperialBlether Fri 21-Apr-17 22:45:50

I really hate this. It's so great to have an NHS and it's great, too, to be generous to visitors who happen to have an accident or whatever, but when someone avoids living here but turns up for treatment, then that is really shocking, in my opinion, and should be stopped.

NotreallysurewhatImdoing Fri 21-Apr-17 22:49:02

It a middle eastern country so not EU

ChipIn Sun 23-Apr-17 02:48:07

Are they still required to pay tax in the uk or are they out of the country enough days not to? Have they paid significant taxes in the uk, before moving away? It is a tough one but I wouldn't be too fussed if I thought they'd contributed enough previously.

Michellemc1xo Tue 25-Apr-17 00:24:45

Pretty sure they are, tbh I would do this too health care is expensive and not only this also I would feel more comfortable receiving the care in my home town where I am familiar and know the system.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 28-Apr-17 01:34:52

She is resident abroad. Therefore NOT entitled to pop over for NHS treatment

"If you are visiting England from a non-EEA country, even if you are a former UK resident, you need to ensure you are covered for healthcare through personal medical or travel insurance for the duration of your visit"

"^treatment is free to people classed as ordinarily resident in the^ UK.
This is not dependent on nationality, payment of UK taxes, National Insurance contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS Number, or owning property in the UK"

"ordinarily resident" iirc means being permanently resident in the uk for at least the previous 6 months

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: