Talk

Advanced search

Ungrateful or over reacting?

(11 Posts)
Chocolatevsgym Thu 20-Apr-17 21:34:04

Tomorrow is my 24th birthday and it's the first birthday since moving out and getting my own place, I've just seen my parents before going out for a meal tomorrow night and they have given me a card with money in but told me they haven't bought me a present because they didn't know what to get me, I see my mum every Saturday to go shopping with and I'm always pointing things out and I'm obsessed with candles so she knows what I like. I've also got a brother 2 years younger who I know would never go without a present even it was just socks. Am I acting like a spoilt brat? I can't help but feel sad they didn't make the effort even to find me something small.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 20-Apr-17 21:36:29

Both.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 20-Apr-17 21:38:46

But the great thing about money is you can buy candles with it grin

ScarlettFreestone Thu 20-Apr-17 21:39:28

Perhaps they thought that as you have a new place you might like to use the money for something for your home?

Happy Birthday! cake

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:15

You haven't 'gone without a present' - you have money.

I agree you are being a little ungrateful

Crumbs1 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:44:27

We'd always give ours a thoughtful present even if it was tiny and cash was the real present. I think you can't complain really but can see why your miffed.

Chocolatevsgym Thu 20-Apr-17 21:44:59

I guess I knew I was over reacting and I am extremely grateful for the money they have given me and it is very true that I can buy whatever I like with the money I just feel there's a lack of thought gone into it and I feel sure if I was still living with them they'd of made sure I had a gift to open on my birthday. Guess this is what getting older feels like hmm

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 20-Apr-17 21:46:10

Money is a present. I expect they know that moving into a new place often causes additional set up expenses while you get settled and sort things out as you like them. Having a bit of extra cash is useful, and not having to stress over a couple of bills because of it is nice too.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 21-Apr-17 10:36:29

Maybe dm sees you as a 'real grown up' now you have your own house and would prefer to choose your own things now? Tell her if you still want surprises though for next year!!

Louiselouie0890 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:09:52

Isn't money classed as a present anymore?

xStefx Thu 27-Apr-17 13:11:07

You have a house, she was probably thinking you could use it to spend on what you wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now