Talk

Advanced search

Holiday Disaster!!

(61 Posts)
Cabbage47 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:01:33

Just need some parental advice please.

Myself and OH have worked our backsides off (both full time) for 6 years so that this year we are able to take our 1 and 3 year old away for a holiday. It's not extravagent by any means but means a lot to us. A couple of weeks ago I had a mail saying that are E-Tickets have arrived. Great I thought, only to find out that Thomsons have changed the outgoing flight time. This time difference now means that we are arriving after the hotel restaurant has closed for the evening (we have booked all inclusive). I am now absolutely petrified that we will arrive with tired hungry children (there are only so many crisps and chocolate they can have before they really have to have something substantial) who have to wait until breakfast to have something decent to eat, or we end up having to take the little mites to an outside restraurant over an hour after they would normally have been in bed.... Thomsons have basically offered an apology but no resolution has been forthcoming. I booked with them rather than organising my own as I wanted it to be drama free (in as much as travelling with a 1 and 3 year old is) but now my anxiety has gone through the roof and I feel really let down and really angry that we have been put in this position. I know it's not life or death but to me it's ruining something that we've worked so hard to have. I can see my 1 year old having the worst night ever and leaving us all (included our hotel next door neighbours) exhausted. Any reassurance would be really gratefully received

Stuffofawesome Fri 14-Apr-17 21:03:13

You can buy food in the airport. Either give near end of flight or when you arrive

bigchris Fri 14-Apr-17 21:03:39

Can you take sandwiches and they have a main meal at lunch time ? Not sure why they would be having crisps and chocolate for tea?

PotteringAlong Fri 14-Apr-17 21:03:49

You're overthinking this. Bung some cereal bars in your bag. A bit of fruit. Job done. Have you booked a meal on the plane? Either do that or buy sandwiches to eat in the air. It will be fine.

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 14-Apr-17 21:04:01

Will there be food on the flight?

acornsandnuts Fri 14-Apr-17 21:04:12

Can you email the hotel directly. They are usually very accommodating. Even if it's a bowl of pasta and some salad.

Eminado Fri 14-Apr-17 21:04:41

Buy food in airport / carry food with you?

antimatter Fri 14-Apr-17 21:05:34

What time is your take off?

xyzandabc Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:07

Take a packed tea. Sandwiches, fruit, snacks etc. Feed them on the plane or as soon as you arrive at accommodation, or a bit of both. They won't starve. All part of a holiday adventure.

I certainly wouldn't be trying to find somewhere to eat out after arriving late at an unknown place with tired children.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:40

What are your flight times and where are you flying to? Assuming a shorthaul flight, I would have a substantial hot meal at lunchtime (at the airport?) and then buy sandwiches, fruit, biscuits, etc airside. You can then pop them in your hand luggage and dole them out to the kids at a suitable time. They don't need two cooked meals a day: they'll be fine.

In the kindest possible way - you are really overreacting to this!

GriseldaChop Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:57

You could book meals for in the plane? When we've been all inclusive and arrived after meal times we've found that they normally have left the restaurant open for the late arrivals and have provided drinks and usually something like bread, cold meat and cheese. Don't let it spoil your hols, it'll all work out. 😊

Darkblueskies Fri 14-Apr-17 21:07:10

Usually at an all inclusive they do food for people who arrive on a late flight. Just email the hotel directly

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 14-Apr-17 21:07:22

X-post with absolutely everyone! grin

monkeywithacowface Fri 14-Apr-17 21:08:14

Check if the hotel offers room service or maybe they have a bar menu. If not there will be somewhere to pick up a sandwich at the airport when you arrive. You can also buy something to eat on the plane at the airport going out.

It will be fine honestly

bigchris Fri 14-Apr-17 21:09:10

This is really no biggie , lost tickets, passports, luggage, delays, mixed up bookings, no taxis to hotel etc etc all much worse!

Lucked Fri 14-Apr-17 21:10:09

Tweet the actual hotel rather than Thomson. I have found tweeting is the quickest way to get an answer when dealing with hospitality. The hotel we stayed at last year seemed to have someone on twitter 24/7 but emails took a while to answer. Alternatively just phone the hotel.

When this has happened to us we have had a cold plate placed in our room so ham bread tomatoes and fruit.

RitzyMcFee Fri 14-Apr-17 21:10:19

I'd just take a couple of tins of tuna or something along those lines in my suitcase. Or go out and buy some chips. An hour after their usual bedtime is not that bad. To be honest they are unlikely to get to the hotel and go straight to bed anyway. They will be excited.

They don't have to have any crisps or chocolate on the flight. I take food as my dd is anaphylactic. Sandwiches. Crackers. Fruit.

iknowimcoming Fri 14-Apr-17 21:10:55

This is your anxiety at play, it's really unlikely that your 1 year old would scream the whole night long because of not having their usual tea. Try and calm down, it's not a disaster, just take a packed tea with you, also as pp said email your hotel and ask if they could prepare a picnic tea to be left in your room for when you arrive, but still take the packed tea just in case it doesn't happen. It will be fine, your kids will adjust fine, and you'll have a lovely holiday, just try to relax and enjoy it flowers

Makemineacabsauv Fri 14-Apr-17 21:11:32

As pre joys posters have said:
Big lunch in airport
Take snacks with you including mug shit type things if they'll eat pasta then you just need hot water when you get there.
Does your AI hotel have a 25hr snack bar? A hot dog/burger might do the trick?
Contact the hotel and ask them to make up a cold platter for your arrival.
They'll probably be shattered when they get there and just want bed! Enjoy your holiday and stop stressing. It will be fine. I always used to take those mini boxes of cereal when travelling with my dc when they were wee. They lived that as a snack dipping into the boxes! Now we take rolls ready made for the plane just in case as last time we flew Ryanair they ran out of toasties and DS (15) was apparently going to starve on his 3 hour flight despite 2 rolls and tuna and some Ryanair chips!

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Apr-17 21:12:06

This isn't even close to a disaster. It's an inconvenience at worst.

Have a large lunch. Pack something to eat in the evening, or order food for on the plane, or ask the hotel to plate up some cold items.

SirNiallDementia Fri 14-Apr-17 21:12:35

I thought you were going to say you'd booked the wrong flights or lost your passports or something serious!!

As everyone else has said, it's no big deal, just email the hotel and ask them to save you a meal or get a meal at the airport plus some sandwiches and snacks for the plane. No ones gonna starve smile

GlitterGlue Fri 14-Apr-17 21:12:54

Basically what everyone else has said. Plus find out where the nearest shop is just in case. Have a go on google earth.

littledinaco Fri 14-Apr-17 21:13:11

Big dinner in the airport before you board?
Food on the plane?
Take something with you?
Ask hotel if they will make you up sandwiches or similar when you arrive?

Its annoying they have changed the flights but don't panic, honestly it doesn't have to be a big deal.

putdownyourphone Fri 14-Apr-17 21:13:30

Room service

MrsELM21 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:13:33

Ok, breathe, worst things have happened, this really isn't a big deal and far from disaster!

Where are you going? Is it short haul? If so you can just buy food, sandwiches etc at the airport before you leave, and have a picnic when you arrive. Problem solved, you're welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now