Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever 'hidden' from an unwanted visitor?

(147 Posts)
N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 16:58:52

Like actually, blinds closed, cowering upstairs in the nursery?... Just wondering confused Said visitor has already been round a few times this week and I need some time to do jobs as well as working myself. Visits always spill over into teatime too so left with the awkwardness of do I offer tea or not.
No judgements on the how's and whys, all you need to know is that it's necessary!
Please tell me someone else has done this too!

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 16:59:53

Oh god, I joke you not, she has now come back and is knocking on the door and trying to FaceTime me!! Eek

ellesbellesxxx Wed 12-Apr-17 17:00:52

Yes blush
The person that somehow, despite you answering the door looking harrassed, will invite themselves in and stay an hour talking at you

ellesbellesxxx Wed 12-Apr-17 17:01:03

Oh noooo!!!

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Wed 12-Apr-17 17:01:39

Every time I see the in laws pull up on the drive.
I hoover or suddenly start drying my hair - anything that I can use as an excuse that I didn't hear the knocking smile

SlB09 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:12

Errr yeah!! Hasnt everyone done this at some point?! My neighbour is of the very chatty variety, if I hear her talking oowhenutside when I get to the front door I have been known to stand and hover until shes gone back in!!

GavelRavel Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:14

I think that's a horrible way to treat a friend or even an acquaintance. If she's a MLM seller or Jehovah's Witness then, fair enough.

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:27

Ellesebelles Yes!!! They don't take the hint do they?? I'm having to hide and I need to get DS's dinner out of the oven and I'm stuck upstairs!! She is parked up outside the house!! Send help MNetters shock

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Wed 12-Apr-17 17:02:49

Ye gods!!

ExplodingCarrots Wed 12-Apr-17 17:03:39

Yes blush I hate unexpected visitors (i know this issue is a mixed bag on mumsnet) , I'm an introvert and get anxious if company is suddenly sprung on me. I've only ever hid from 1 person though because they were stifling and stayed for HOURS.

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 17:03:41

Gavel refer to my OP about no judgements pls grin Not going to go into the background but just understand it's necessary and justified!!

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 17:05:28

I've slithered down the stairs... currently in kitchen plating up tea slightly crouched so I can't be seen. I think she's gone

GavelRavel Wed 12-Apr-17 17:06:07

Fair enough, I'm not judging just saying it's mean, unless she really, really deserves it.

NotTheOriginalGreen Wed 12-Apr-17 17:07:15

I have blush I was standing in the kitchen and saw them approaching from the kitchen window. I dropped and hid behind the units while they hovered at the door for FIFTEEN minutes.

Chavelita Wed 12-Apr-17 17:07:24

Not hidden, no, but I don't answer the door unless it suits me to. I work from home quite a lot, and my study is on the ground floor with a window right next to the front door, so people can see me working. I just wave and keep going, or occasionally, if it's someone I like, I'll open the window and say 'I'm working.'

ProfessorPickles Wed 12-Apr-17 17:07:27

I feel for you OP, there's nothing worse than a visitor who comes often and takes up all of your time that you need to get jobs done etc!

My parents have an elderly neighbour who I've known all my life, and while I really like him I desperately avoid him because he doesn't stop talking. I feel awful but it drains me!

Fuxfurforall Wed 12-Apr-17 17:08:40

Why not just explain you are busy?

PatMullins Wed 12-Apr-17 17:10:08

I do this a lot grin

LineysRun Wed 12-Apr-17 17:11:26

Yes, and I felt strangely ashamed.

Now I've grown a backbone, and answer the door and say firmly - whilst standing square in the doorway - 'I wasn't expecting you and so I'm not inviting you in because I'm busy working.' You can do it with a smile.

pictish Wed 12-Apr-17 17:11:37

Can you not just nicely say it's not convenient?

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 17:11:41

I love you guys! That's ace - can you imagine hovering at someone's door for 15 mins? I just wouldn't do it would you?! It's never an emergency either, just "oh I thought I'd come and see you for a cuppa" "oh what are you having for tea?"
I can report we are now eating tea and I'm hitting the deck every time I hear the sound of a car door shutting outside!!

AntagonyAunt Wed 12-Apr-17 17:11:42

My parents had this problem with one of the neighbours. My dad didn't answer the door to her once and instead of pissing off she went around the back of the house looking in the windows!

ellesbellesxxx Wed 12-Apr-17 17:14:06

The reason I have done this is that the person in question does not listen to "I am actually busy" and pushes her way in.
Last time my husband said "it's not a good time for Elles" she airily said I will be 10 mins, pushed past him and stayed an hour!

N0tNowBernard Wed 12-Apr-17 17:15:21

Antagony Looking in the back windows?! No way!
Btw I have already been over this issue with the VISITOR over the years and said call me first, on occasions when they have just turned up and I'm doing something I've said it's not convenient etc... and she leaves like I've offended her and I feel shit and ashamed. Yes I'm a wimp, but this is easier than having that confrontation! Did I mention, I'm a wimp?...{cowers}

youarenotkiddingme Wed 12-Apr-17 17:15:26

It's times like this I'm grateful I live in a flat and can disconnect the external door wink

It's it mean at all - the sheer description of the fact she hangs around for 15 minutes shows this isn't a normal visitor who just appears on the offchance and accepts it may not be convenient

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now