Talk

Advanced search

Driving : emergency vehicles

(11 Posts)
Pinklady0888 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:09:37

Hi there!

I've been driving about a month and I get anxious and over think things but thought this was a question (I've got loads) that I would love some opinions on.

Today, I had just crossed the stop line (I think or it was green and I was ready to go). And heard an emergency vechile on the other side of the road. I could see where it was, close but not too close at all and not travelling quick at this point.

I continue on my path rather than stopping in the junction (although I wasn't far at all on it and probs could've stayed there safely) and it felt strange to do so as everything had come to a stand still as I entered the road the fire engine was on.

I didn't want to block the junction. I didn't want to be too hesitant as the fire engine was a little away from me but I still feel like I probably should've stayed wheee I was in a safe place rather than going ? What are the rules?

When you hear an emergency vehicls even if you can't see it - is it ok to slow down and be prepared to move over? Even if the emergency vehicle doesn't need to cross that path.
And can anyone tell me does driving anxiety get better?

Thanks!

scurryfunge Tue 11-Apr-17 18:14:45

As soon as you hear or see an emergency vehicle be prepared to give way. Use you eyes and ears and treat everything as a hazard. Slowing down and anticipating a change of course is desirable. Just don't panic and slam on the anchors !

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 11-Apr-17 18:14:45

Best thing to do is leave a path clear for them.
In most cases this means pulling over or stopping but in your case going through the junction rather than stopping partially on it was the right thing to do, so I think you were right.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 11-Apr-17 18:18:26

I look for the safest place to stop as soon as I hear them, and pull over as soon as I can, so they can see the road ahead. I wouldnt stop on a junction unless it was completely necessary i.e. they were right behind me and blocked, so it sounds like you did the right thing.

FadedRed Tue 11-Apr-17 18:27:00

On the East Midlands Ambulance website there is a useful short video about what to do when driving in this situation.worth a look.
Sorry I cannot do a link.

Pinklady0888 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:41:13

Thanks everyone smile smile I'll check out that video too! Thanks

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 11-Apr-17 20:28:57

Don't pull into a bus stop as a mner was fined!! Highway code says usual road rules apply when keeping clear for emergency vehicles..
Bloody stupid as presumably an up and coming bus would also have bloody stopped for an emergency vehicle so wouldn't have needed to use the bus stop!! Crazy. . I had to mount a grass verge the other day but preferable to a fire engine up the back of my car!

Littledrummergirl Tue 11-Apr-17 22:07:02

Imo every situation is different. I think you need to make a judgement based on what is happening around you.
Sometimes you may need to stop, sometimes you have to continue forward to avoid blocking the way.

I once saw someone panic when they saw an emergency vehicle coming up behind them. Although a very wide road with no oncoming traffic so plenty of room for the vehicle to pass had they continued as they were, they mounted the kerb and hit a cyclist. Fortunately they were unhurt but it shouldn't have happened.

Don't do this!

They want to get by as quickly as possible, your car is an obstacle they need to get pass, make it as easy for them as you can in the circumstances you find yourself in.

BollardDodger Sun 16-Apr-17 22:01:00

Best thing is don't panic. Stopping or slowing down could actually get in their way. Don't break the law getting out of their way (don't go through a red light for example) - if you cause an accident doing that you will be liable. They are trained in how to drive their vehicle, and are trained how not to get stuck behind other vehicles. Don't pull over if there are double white lines - you will obstruct them and they are trained not to overtake in such situations.

NoBetterName Sun 16-Apr-17 22:07:16

What BollardDodger said.

PastysPrincess Sun 16-Apr-17 22:10:21

Remember you still need to follow the rules of the road; don't attempt to get out of the way by entering a bus lane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now