Talk

Advanced search

Gifting to less well off

(8 Posts)
namechangingisgamechanging Sat 08-Apr-17 21:36:36

I have two close friends. One of whom is in a similar financial position to me, the other is much less well off. We do presents for kiddies etc. and each other, but I always feel slightly uncomfortable with the less well off friend. If I give what I would normally give, I worry that I make her feel bad because she can't repay the favour (of course that's not my intention at all), or if I give a lesser value gift, then I don't want her to think she deserves less! Of course she doesn't. If anything, she deserves more!
So I guess my question is what would you do in this situation?

Obsidian77 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:41:13

Most rich people I know are very stingy with presents grin
Give her a present you think she would like.

Screamifuwant2gofaster Sat 08-Apr-17 21:42:09

It is tricky. Do the two friends know each other?

namechangingisgamechanging Sat 08-Apr-17 21:44:57

Scream I'm definitely not rich but don't want to be stingy either.
Yes, sorry, they do know each other. We're a close little group.

namechangingisgamechanging Sat 08-Apr-17 21:45:23

Oops quote fail, sorry!

SparkleSoiree Sat 08-Apr-17 21:46:36

I gift what I want regardless of other's financial circumstances. I don't think about it that deeply.

Lisa282820 Mon 10-Apr-17 00:36:41

I am quite comfortable off now but in the days when I was less so I appreciated any gift!
If a friend bought me a gift then or now I wouldnt feel the need to price match!
Regarding the two friends I would probably buy gifts that reflected the same level of thought and value regardless of their economic status

namechangingisgamechanging Mon 10-Apr-17 07:03:22

Thanks all. Will keep giving away smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: