Dorking, Ashtead or Bookham? Where would you move to?

(20 Posts)
Martinachick Tue 04-Apr-17 10:22:48

Hello ladies,

I would be most grateful for some advice. I'm currently living in Wandsworth Common and looking to move to Dorking but open to Ashtead and Bookham. We have 3 children aged 1,3 and 8. We both commute to the City. Where would you choose to live? I am inclined towards Dorking as it is stunning but Ashtead looks good too. How does Bookham compare with these two places? Thank you

DameXanaduBramble Tue 04-Apr-17 10:29:48

I'd live in Dorking in a heartbeat. Just love the atmosphere. Ashtead is nice too, can't comment on bookham.

ShelaghTurner Tue 04-Apr-17 10:31:03

I'm down the road from Ashtead and would happily move there, like it a lot. Not keen on Dorking and don't really know Bookham.

BigSandyBalls2015 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:31:51

Don't forget the horror of Southern Trains, which I believe is the Dorking to London line. The dispute is still ongoing after a year. Other than that dorking is lovely.

Martinachick Tue 04-Apr-17 10:46:36

Isn't Dorking in South West?

Martinachick Tue 04-Apr-17 10:47:12

Hello Shelagh, may I ask why you are not keen on Dorking ?

Martinachick Tue 04-Apr-17 10:47:48

Thank you. And are you able to recommend any good primaries ?

titchy Tue 04-Apr-17 11:00:14

Dorking does have some SW trains, but they're mostly served by Southern.

Martinachick Tue 04-Apr-17 11:16:25

Right. I didn't know. I would need to take trains to Waterloo which is mostly South West I gather

Bluntness100 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:23:41

Dorking also in a heartbeat and as for trains it's got the two stations basically side by side and excellent links.

nicenewdusters Wed 05-Apr-17 01:15:02

There are loads of great primary schools in Dorking, great OFSTED reports, very sporty. Also, two brilliant Senior schools in the town, you're pretty much spoiled for choice. The surrounding villages are really nice as well, plus you have Box Hill and Ranmore on your doorstep.

It's friendly, always loads going on, a great place to live.

danijeanne Wed 05-Apr-17 06:49:09

We are moving to Ashtead from Clapham in July and have an 8 year old and 6 year old. Let me know where you end up would be great to get to know some people in area or just chat through process !

Martinachick Sun 09-Apr-17 08:41:48

Hello DaniJeanne,

We're trying to sell our house and really hope to move before the next school year! We'll let you know where we end up. I think it is important to be open minded about areas as often it is also about the right house being available at the time. Good luck with the move. The kids will love Ashstead. Are they going into Grenville or private ?

Bookhamres Sun 09-Apr-17 08:57:15

I have namechanged for this as I live in bookham.
Dorking is lovely, very pretty and lots to do. I would have no problem living there. smile
The schools in bookham are great, it has two superb butchers, an outstanding fishmongers and is bordered on both sides by national trust land. You can get fast trains from Leatherhead or effingham, I travel from effingham as there are 4 trains an hour. The trains are sw trains, so no problems with strikes etc. There are some ok pubs locally but if you want to go out to eat you need to go to cobham or Dorking.
I know ashtead very well I would say it has become too busy and built up for me.
What do you like doing in your spare time?

Bookhamres Sun 09-Apr-17 09:01:26

Oh and bookham is not 'fashionable' which means relatively speaking it is good value. I think that will change in time as it has a lot to offer. What is your budget?

mycatloveslego Sun 09-Apr-17 09:04:59

I live just down the road from Ashtead and have several friends who live there too. I think it's lovely, has a great high street and is commutable easily into London Waterloo on SW trains, plus you'll always get a seat in the morning. Not too bad to get back to later in the evening too if you e been out in London.
If you've not lived in the 'burbs before, don't underestimate how long a 30 minute train journey impacts on your working day.
For us Dorking is a bit far out not as well connected. I don't really know Bookham that well.

Booboobedoo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:08:44

If it makes a difference to you, Ashtead has roughly double the number of London trains compared with Dorking.

iismum Sun 09-Apr-17 09:16:27

I grew up in a village just outside Dorking and it was pretty idyllic. There's National Trust land everywhere so we spent a lot of time outside, swimming in the Mole, etc. It had a good community feeling too. It is a bit more of a pain for London than Ashtead but I think this has the effect of making the community much more focussed on the town itself - a lot of towns a bit closer in just seem to be dormitory towns where people don't do much stuff locally. My sister lived in Ashtead later on and it never seemed to me to have much substance or heart.

Martinachick Sun 09-Apr-17 19:50:49

That is a very good point. I want to have a small mortgage as possible so that I can cut back on my working hours. So yes maybe worth looking at Bookham as it has potential. Thank you so much

pardrej Thu 20-Apr-17 15:29:25

Ah, thought this was going to be a baby name thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now