Talk

Advanced search

Benefits....

(6 Posts)
user1474320794 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:17:15

Would it annoy you if someone you knew claimed to be a single parent where she most certainly isn't, whilst claimed income support, discounted rent and council tax, free childcare and whatever else there is on offer..... this person has a partner and although he'll only stay couple/few nights a week he does support her finically on top of all benefits ( which she does not declare). It just gets to me slightly that I don't feel it's fair! I'm there talking about paying all my bills for the month etc whilst she's practically bragging that she's paid her council tax for the year in one go because it's discounted so much..... maybe it shouldn't bother me... none of my business....

BitchQueen90 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:54:26

I wouldn't care. I don't get why people do to be honest. I'm focused on my own life, not what other people are doing.

If it bothers you then you don't have to be friends with her.

ginorwine Fri 14-Apr-17 10:30:39

Yes it would bother me .
Benefits are not there to be worked in this way . They don't come from no where but from many people's hard earnt taxes . I don't think people should use them like this really . I feel for low earners hearing this stuff ( not say you are op ) it just feels selfish .

Hellmouth Fri 14-Apr-17 10:35:36

2 or3 nights a week isn't living with her. If he was living with her, his income would need to be taken into account. I don't think she's technically doing anything wrong and, also, I don't think it's actually any of your business.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 14-Apr-17 10:44:10

My neighbours are like this - although the boyfriend does live there, with the baby, and grandmother. None of them work, the grandmother has a dodgy knee but when she has worked it has involved warehouse work where she liberated stock and then flogged it round our street or on eBay, the baby's mum is 16 and dropped out of school to have the little one, but has said she wants to be a SAHM. The boyfriend is proud to have never worked and calls us mugs for working full time and owning our home (their house is a council owned property).

It doesn't anger me so much as sadden me though how small their world is, that the baby has been involved with social services since birth and probably has little chance of escaping the poverty trap as none of the family are interested in education or employment, and there is no money for holidays, nice treats, a car, any of the luxuries that can really enrich a life. It's always grating when you allow yourself to think that you are working hard to provide and pay towards their upkeep too, but it's not the child's fault and some people are so irresponsible that they wouldn't put the child first if there are any cuts to be made.

PortiaCastis Fri 14-Apr-17 10:46:53

Why do folk know about other folks financial affairs do they have access to bank accounts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now