Talk

Advanced search

To get out of being a parcel depot for the whole sodding street?

(28 Posts)
HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 15:24:27

I realise I'm probably just being a bit grumpy about it, but it's really getting on my nerves lately. At least four days a week, I end up with other people's parcels in my hallway. I wouldn't mind if neighbours came to get them. One once sat there for two weeks until I took it round confused

I'm not the only one in, but because of where my house is (end of cul-de-sac, right where everyone turns around) and I'm the only one with a large bay window, anyone can see right in, which is why they always, always knock on my door first. I can't just not answer the door since they've already seen me. Plus DD is dead nosy and always runs to the door.

Unless I get shutters or sit in the dark with the curtains shut, I'm just going to have to suck up being the local parcel depot, aren't I?

ymmv Mon 03-Apr-17 15:27:27

When the delivery person asks if you'd take a package for a neighbour say "no".

Namechangearoo Mon 03-Apr-17 15:28:52

^^ yeah, just that really.

HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 15:41:40

I didn't even think of that blush

Batwomanrisesagain Mon 03-Apr-17 15:42:49

This was me, I just say no now

ImperialBlether Mon 03-Apr-17 15:43:51

Do you know your neighbours? Could you put a note through saying if they don't collect within 24 hours (between the hours of X and Y) then you will return the items to the post office? Trouble with that is they might think you're accepting the role of parcel-taker, though.

Hersetta427 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:45:24

just refuse to accept the parcels - simple as that really.

user1483387154 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:46:32

lol as above, just state you wont accept other peoples's packages.

Sodomeyes Mon 03-Apr-17 15:50:34

simple

MagentaRocks Mon 03-Apr-17 15:51:49

I'm going to say no to one of the neighbours parcels. They are a pain in the arse. Saw someone trying to deliver before, saw they were in as were at the window but did t answer the door. Another time we took in a parcel, a few days later someone else tried to leave something for them saying they had a note on their door to leave all parcels with us! Said no, we are shift workers and I don't want to get in the habit of taking them in.

Last week postie knocks and asks if I feel neighbourly and will I take a parcel in. Stupidly say yes, several times knock on their door when I know they are in -they don't answer. Had it for days.

So from now on will say no to them. Will still say yes for the other neighbours though.

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 03-Apr-17 15:52:20

Agree. Just say no you can't (if you feel the need to say something just say you're about to go away for a few days).

This is immensely annoying, I know!

soapboxqueen Mon 03-Apr-17 16:00:25

Just say no. However, I'm not above saying no to specific neighbours if they are rude or don't pick up their parcels in a reasonable time.

OlennasWimple Mon 03-Apr-17 16:04:26

Why wouldn't you just leave a parcel for a neighbour who is obviously in but not answering their door on their doorstep? confused

ImperialBlether Mon 03-Apr-17 16:05:29

Because they could say they hadn't received it - it's been left with you so you could be blamed.

PUGaLUGS Mon 03-Apr-17 16:28:20

Last Sunday late afternoon, knock at the door. Delivery driver with a huge bloody box for next door. Could we take it in. It was Amazon Prime so obvs something they wanted quickly. It was addressed to one of their teenage kids. A few mins after the driver left, I took the dog out for a walk and saw the same bloody teenager sat in the living room using his console 😡.

Then they had a shopping delivery so I knew more than one person was in.

About two hours later they knocked at our door, I was just getting undressed for a shower so I ignored it.

The mother then came round about 9pm for it. She did apologise for the lateness but I won't be taking any more parcels in.

RockyBird Mon 03-Apr-17 16:32:36

I spotted my old neighbour had instructed a parcel to be delivered to me as they'd be at work (quick upside down reading). I refused it. He was a bad tempered, creepy arse who didn't think he needed to ask me first.

HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 16:33:25

Sodomeyes - love it! I like a blast from the past.

MrsNucky - great idea, I'm going to make that my excuse. Sorry, off out in a mo and won't be back for a week so can't possibly take anything in.

I know all the neighbours, they're all nice, pleasant people so I didn't mind too much initially. It's getting to the point where I'm knocking on doors most nights. Like someone else said, sometimes they don't answer!

HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 16:34:27

Blimey, the cheek of some people! shock

nursebickypegs Mon 03-Apr-17 16:34:56

You refuse.

I'm a nurse who works 12-14hr days and orders a lot from Amazon. Amazon ignore my requests of putting it in a safe place and deliver to neighbours. I buy gifts for the neighbour who always takes them in for us as I'm really grateful. One neighbour flat out refuses.

HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 17:07:50

I order a fair bit too, but I always get the card through the door to say it's been taken to the post office collection point.

Either they don't bother knocking on anyone else's door or everyone else pretends they're not in (which I'd do if I could!) jealous

ImperialBlether Mon 03-Apr-17 17:15:36

Why don't people have it delivered to a collection point? There are tons near me - surely they should be used instead of relying on neighbours?

HolditFinger Mon 03-Apr-17 17:24:47

I'll suggest that, thanks Imperial!

ButtonMooooon Mon 03-Apr-17 19:00:09

We recently had an email stating a parcel had been signed for by "Jones" but no card through the door so we had no idea where it was!!! DH answered the door to a cross neighbour who lives across the street and down a few houses (would never have thought it was that far down!) because she'd had her dressing gown on and had to get dressed it was before 7pm. DH apologised profusely and told her no card had been put through. He said she seemed okay but I don't know if she'd take anything in for us again!!!

HeddaGarbled Mon 03-Apr-17 23:00:27

My H is retired and is at home all day in a street where most people work so we do tend to take in a lot of parcels. It's no skin off our nose and it's good to have good relationships with your neighbours. One of mine did me a massive favour recently and I'm sure that the goodwill built up by doing them favours in the past contributed to that.

However ....... H doesn't answer the door if he's busy, in the shower/garden etc.

Deliverers always put notification of delivery through the door so really the onus is on the neighbour to collect from you. I sometimes take parcels next door or directly across the road (because we are friendly) but wouldn't bother further up. If someone didn't collect from me for two weeks, I wouldn't take in anything for them again, unless they were on holiday or had some other genuine reason.

nursebickypegs Tue 04-Apr-17 06:04:59

@ImperialBlether our collection point closes at 7pm (it's in a small Morrisons) so by the time I've finished work, I can't get there.

Agreed @HeddaGarbled; I don't mind taking it in for others as it's good to have a relationship with your neighbours. We have an elderly lady next door who takes in our parcels and in return, we look after her cat when she sees her son on weekends.

It's nice to be nice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now