Talk

Advanced search

Mother in laws way or no way

(5 Posts)
Sc87 Mon 03-Apr-17 05:04:12

I want to start off I do like my mother in law. But...
It's her way or no way.
Let me give examples
Wedding day some guests couldn't come so we was happy to fill the gaps. But instead of my husband and I talking about who would come instead my mother in law invited her neighbours. When I said but we was going to ask some friends I knew she replied well I've known these for years. So I left it.
Now my husband and I have a baby and we are getting her christened, my mother in law was in impressed when we said we was just heading for a few drinks after. Refused to come until my husband gave in and we had to spend money we don't have on a hall. Just because otherwise they would come to the christening but not to interact with my family afterwards. She is also annoyed I have put my foot down about no guests I don't want there. It's a small personal day for our daughter. I only want close family and friends there. Not her friends who don't even come to see my daughter.
In general I get on with my mother in law. It's events like this when she wants her friends there because otherwise the hall will look empty. I said I don't care if the hall in empty it's a christening not a party.
I want to stand my ground but my husband is caving.
His family come across so rude even my dad (who is so laid back) said that not once did my mother in law talk to him. When he tried to say hello. I'm at wits end. Even for my 30th she wants to invite people I don't know just because she wants her friends there. So I'm thinking about cancelling that.

Chottie Mon 03-Apr-17 05:13:20

Sc87

Your MiL doesn't not seem an easy woman to get on with. In your position, I would not be telling MiL all the plans until everything was finalised. Then when she says anything, just smile and say all has been agreed and it can't be changed.

It's awful that she has bullied you into spending money you do not have on drinks for people she has invited.

You and your DP need to be united and agree what will and won't happen and then tell her together. Do you really want her running your life forever?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:16:09

Ask your dh how much she is contributing to the supplying of catering to her bloody friends!!
Keep your business private from now on. . Def just a need to know basis. For your sanity op!!

Greenkit Tue 04-Apr-17 14:44:12

When I said but we was going to ask some friends I knew she replied well I've known these for years. So I left it.

This was your first mistake.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:45:43

Stop telling her so much!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now