Talk

Advanced search

More money or less stress

(4 Posts)
decisions123 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:10:19

I have the opportunity of temporary promotion. Would mean about £500 more a month which is enormous for us as a family. It would be for 6 months to a year but would mean a longer commute each day meaning daughter (5) in breakfast club and after school club every day. She currently just does after school club. It would also be considerably more stressful. On the positive side it would be great experience and a good career move but I just wonder if life is too short? Wwyd?

Trills Wed 29-Mar-17 20:13:42

How old are you? If you have a 5 year old then let's say you are probably not more than 45. So you have at least 20 years more before retirement.

If it were more money, more stress, and not a great experience the two might balance each other out.

But it is a great career move and would be a great experience, so I think you should go for it.

thisusernameisnotavailable Wed 29-Mar-17 20:14:11

If it's only temporary I'd say do it. I've just done the same but a permanent role and despite being a single parent I'm loving it. My two are older though as in almost in high school and in high school so can go home from school themselves. The extra money more than makes up for it!

jumpingjellyfishsquids Wed 29-Mar-17 20:32:39

I've done something similar and I'm struggling. Only 2 months left. 3 days to 5 days for extra 1.5k pcm. It's impacting on my mental health and marriage. Id still do it all again though as it's been for a particular housing project, and the children are happy.

Me though? I'm finding it so hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now