Talk

Advanced search

Birthday weekend

(17 Posts)
voldemortsnose Sat 25-Mar-17 18:54:38

Please help resolve a dispute between DH and I. I'm going to try not to give away which side I'm on. DD is three on a Monday. One of us says we have to do her birthday party the weekend before as it's closest to her birthday and that that's the convention and everybody knows that, the other says that it can be done either weekend either side of her birthday or even at a different date entirely, there is no convention, we can take our own convenience into account. Please discuss. Once I've got enough evidence to take back a reasonably unbiased reply to DH I'll tell you which side I'm on.

StewieGMum Sat 25-Mar-17 19:01:17

When're is most convenient and easiest.

BrieAndChilli Sat 25-Mar-17 19:06:12

DS is a couple of days before xmas, he had his party the second weekend in January.
DD is July, she had her party one year middle of August as that was when we could get a booking at the venue
DS2 had a joint party with his friend - they are a month apart so we had the party in the middle of the 2 dates

Whirltime Sat 25-Mar-17 19:08:56

What ever is convenient. Ds2 birthday is kid October, ds3 birthday is mid November will be doing a Halloween themed party on Halloween as a joint birthday party for both. Lot less hassle and the fact that there's only 13 months between them means they a have same friends anyway.

Longji Sat 25-Mar-17 19:13:41

Whatever is convenient. My DD had her party two weeks before her birthday this year because her birthday falls in the holidays and when I was asking around 6 of her closest friends were going to be away on her actual birthday.

LadyMarmyLard Sat 25-Mar-17 19:19:03

Whenever.

HalfCarrot Sat 25-Mar-17 19:33:36

Longest gap I know of is 4 months between birthday and party. So I'm sure you can pick whichever weekend you like. Next year I'll be avoiding half term.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 25-Mar-17 19:33:59

Whenever it's most convenient.

RaeSkywalker Sat 25-Mar-17 19:38:22

I'd do the closest weekend, but not if there was a reason why it was hugely inconvenient.

BagittoGo Sat 25-Mar-17 19:43:03

Until the age of 5 it really doesn't matter. Even actual birthdays get moved if we're busy.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Mar-17 19:43:53

DS always had his birthday party the weekend after, otherwise it would be in school holidays. DD always has hers the weekend before, fir the same reason.

Given the choice, I prefer celebrating after the event. Before hand the person hasn't had an actual birthday!

My grandmother used to celebrate DM's birthday in March, because she thought it too close to Christmas otherwise. DM was 8 when she realised that she was actually 3 months older than she thought she was.

I think, in short, do whatever suits you best.

Bluntness100 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:46:10

I'd do it the weekend closest unless there was a major reason why not to. It's not like the date is a surprise so you both had all year to plan for it,...confused

Gizlotsmum Sat 25-Mar-17 19:48:57

Closest weekend here ( if possible) can be before or after.

memyselfandaye Sat 25-Mar-17 19:50:02

Either weekend. It does'nt matter. Wait until she's at school and you're organising parties, you choose the weekend closest to the birthday.

memyselfandaye Sat 25-Mar-17 19:52:30

What I meant was you choose a weekend either side of the birthday, it does'nt have to be the one before, it does'nt matter.

ChuckDaffodils Mon 27-Mar-17 17:36:22

Whenever. In fact you don't even have to have a party.

voldemortsnose Wed 29-Mar-17 10:52:07

Sorry, I should have come back that night, but other stuff happened. My husband still takes the view that officially her birthday weekend is the one closest to her birthday. I'm of the it's when it works for us variety. However, he seems to be willing to compromise more now. Thanks for all your contributions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now