Talk

Advanced search

Can I just cancel the party?

(11 Posts)
ClareDeLoon Sat 25-Mar-17 18:12:40

I've planned a birthday party for DS for tomorrow - he invited 10 school friends but only one has replied confused so what to do? I don't know the parents so can't chase them - I put my number on the invite and just presumed they would reply, it didn't even occur to me that they wouldn't tbh. Thing is, forecast looks great for tomorrow and I'd like to take DS to the beach as kind of compensation if the party isn't happening, but do we have to stay around in case anyone does turn up? Would people turn up without replying??

bookbuddy Sat 25-Mar-17 18:16:07

From my experience some do just turn up. Not very helpful I know confused

CheeseAtFourpence Sat 25-Mar-17 18:17:35

This really annoys me! I would be sorely tempted to apologise to the one respondent and take DS off to the beach. Could be take the one who replied with him?

SleepFreeZone Sat 25-Mar-17 18:18:09

Oh that's rotten. I assume it's in your house?

ny20005 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:21:02

I'd text the one parent who has replied & go out for the day

Flipthebirdy Sat 25-Mar-17 18:21:25

That's really rude of them to not respond to your invite. I would take him to the beach, if possible with the one who did bother to reply.
Whoever turns up will learn to rsvp in the future.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sat 25-Mar-17 18:27:54

I would be tempted to take the one who did reply with you and just leave the non-repliers to turn up and lose out.
Not really fair on the children though. Not their fault their parents are incapable of sending a text.

ChicRock Sat 25-Mar-17 18:28:22

I would take him to the beach with the one child that did reply.

I'd make sure I was not in when the ignorant fuckers who didn't reply for their child turn up, as one or two undoubtedly will. And I'd tell the parent when they text or call "there was a change of venue but as you hadn't sent an rsvp I assumed you weren't coming" - no apology, no excuses.

BackforGood Sat 25-Mar-17 18:30:14

Just what ChicRock said.

ClareDeLoon Sat 25-Mar-17 18:44:42

The one reply was to say he can't come! And yes, it was to be at home.

I think the 'change of venue' excuse is a good one, thanks ChicRock. I don't want the other children to be disappointed if they turn up and we're not here - but equally I don't want to prepare everything for nobody!

Gallavich Sat 25-Mar-17 19:01:18

So you have no confirmed RSVPs? To be honest, you will probably get a few showing up, but as you may not want to take the risk it's probably worth taking DS out. Poor lad. I send follow up invites to the kids who don't reply, half the time they have failed to hand it to the parent (or so the parents say) also track down parents on Facebook, I have a couple of school mum friends who seem to know everybody so I look on their friends list and see who I recognise! Even ask DS whose mum is who!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now