Talk

Advanced search

Lovely treat - offer to pay?

(5 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Wed 22-Mar-17 21:04:04

Have been invited to join friends at an extremely expensive event. They have a spare ticket - their treat. Normally I would offer to pay my way, but frankly that isn't really an option. It really is very expensive (think Centre Court for the mens finals, but it's not that!)

Would you:
- Gracefully accept and concentrate on being a lovely guest.
- Make some sort of contribution towards the cost.
- Take a gift ....... and if so, what?
- Something else?

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 23-Mar-17 19:36:18

I would concentrate on being a lovely guest and then reciprocate at a cost I could afford - either buying refreshments at the event, or afterwards inviting them to something.

hellokittymania Thu 23-Mar-17 19:38:58

Yes I agree with cousin, just enjoy yourself and do something nice for them later

spiney Thu 23-Mar-17 20:17:58

They obviously like you and enjoy your company. Take this offer at face value. Accept graciously and be a great companion. You could treat them to refreshments whilst you're there and You'll be able to treat them to something down the line ( it doesn't have to be the same £££ - just the same goodwill)

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 23-Mar-17 21:03:43

Thanks all. Finding this very reassuring! I like the idea of reciprocating down the line. That would make me feel less like it's a one way street.

Will also look out for opportunity to buy refreshments at the event (although I've seen the wine list and even that looks slightly terrifying!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now