Talk

Advanced search

Planning First Communion

(8 Posts)
Wasteofspace000 Tue 21-Mar-17 17:36:44

DD's Communion will be at 10am. It'll be a DIY hair and makeup job plus catering for forty at home...sounded like a good idea at the time. Any advice about planning or sorting the little one's hair and getting her dressed in the middle of houseguests and myself to get beautified and still time to be a Delia / Nigella ? Any advice welcome.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 21-Mar-17 17:56:22

Can you plan a BBQ? You'll be at the mercy of the great British weather but hopefully your DP/DH or another guest could be persuaded to pitch in. Add a few bags of salad and some ready prepared potato salad/coleslaw type dishes to keep the work to a minimum. Apologies for my assumption that you may not want to be the one wrestling burgers all afternoon. My DH and BIL and I all took turns and it was great. Lots of time to chat to our guests.

Put a big bucket outside and fill with ice and put your bottles in. Both soft drinks and alcohol and tell your guests to help themselves. The last thing you want to do is be pouring drinks for everyone.

With regards hair etc I was more prepared with DD2 than DD1 - DD1 went to church beautifully dressed but with her normal hairstyle, DD2 slept in soft rollers for the front of her hair and then had the back section in a bun. Her tiara sort of wrapped round the bun and the veil had a comb that was pushed in under the bun. A couple of loose curls hung down in front of her ears.

Get dressed at the last possible moment and DON'T allow anyone -- not even doting grannies-- to come and "help". I may be a bit bitter about that one.

luckylucky24 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:18:02

Make stuff you can prepare the night before.

Wasteofspace000 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:40:13

Thank you for the tips. Usually not in a flap but this time there's a lot to do and not a lot of time...the hotess with the mostess might be pasty faced and still in pyjamas!

Wasteofspace000 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:41:51

The hoStess has lost the ability to spell. Off to a tricky start.

BoysaDearyMe Wed 29-Mar-17 22:51:55

Why not make ahead a big pot of chilli and a big pot of curry, or even better get family or friends to make it and bring it you.
Just needs heated on the day, boil rice and have ready made salads.
Big cake to celebrate, and ice cream with jelly for the kids.
Least fuss is best - aim is to enjoy the day

Hotbot Thu 30-Mar-17 08:24:35

We had a bbq for friends and children, but you know it's not about looking gorgeous and amazing etc, ...................

GlassSeahorse Thu 30-Mar-17 08:29:38

DDs communion was at ten o'clock last year, we had to be at the church for nine o'clock and i am useless with hair. I booked a mobile hairdresser for DD which saved time. Would this be an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now