Talk

Advanced search

Grandparents divorcing

(2 Posts)
user1489601978 Mon 20-Mar-17 00:36:25

Hi

First time posting so please be kind

OH and I are in a bit of a predicament.
OH parents going through separation and it's messy. Accusations of abuse (FIL abusing MIL) from years ago are being thrown about and I feel like my partner is stuck in the middle with both parents trying to make him choose sides.

OH decided best to stay out of it and told both MIL and FIL that we will not be bringing our son to visit (they live a while away) whilst all the anger and issues are still festering away as we feel he will pick up on the bad atmosphere. There have been sly comments from both IL's when son is around and neither seem to want to lay off while he is about either.

Naturally, we are concerned about the allegations but OH was never aware of any of this as a child. He is an only child and says that he had a happy childhood.
Obviously if the allegations are true then we would not be able to trust FILto look after our child.
MIL has now turned on OH and has told him that she will take us to court to seek access even though we have not stopped anyone seeing him, it's just while the messy divorce is happening. There is no talking sense to an angry Grandma!

Anyone been in a similar situation? We just don't know what to do for the best. Apart from knowing that keeping our son out of the drama is what's best ATM.
It's a strange situation for me to be in as my family is very small and keep themselves to themselves so never really been involved in such drama. I feel so bad for OH as he is getting really stressed out about it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BackforGood Mon 20-Mar-17 15:37:18

My understanding is that Grandparents don't have "a right" to have access to their Grandchild, so I wouldn't worry about it from that point of view.
Is there a way of going to visit but not staying with them? So you can see them for a meal or an afternoon play in the park or a walk or something and leave easily if they can't put their own feelings on ice for a few hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now