Talk

Advanced search

Brother and his partner fraud...

(24 Posts)
Luna2016 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:28:53

May be a long on so I don't drop feed.

About two months ago I had a letter through the post from very saying I owed money on an account (I did not set up). I called them straight away and found out that there had been two accounts set up. On in my name and one in my husbands name. But both had been set up using the same email address myfirstname.marriedsurname1234@email.co.uk. However my only email is in my maiden name only.
Looking in to it more they gave me the street name to what was ordered was delivered to.... It was my brothers street. Befor I got this letter through they were talking about how they "upgraded the house and furniture".
We've contacted the fraud squad and found out the account in my name had £1,245 owed and the one in my husbands name has £1800 owed on it. Because it's been reported and the signature on the orders when they were recived they can clear up the debt.
The min problem I have is they both are still denying it. My brother even tried to blame my 10 year old nephew! My parents asked him if him or his partner did it and he still insisting it wasn't him and knows nothing about it.
So far I've been having a "admit it or I'm not having anything to do with you" thing going on. Thing is he did a similar thing years ago but I don't know the full details.

Untill I get a reply from the fraud police I just don't know what to do from here.

Hoppinggreen Mon 20-Mar-17 15:38:54

The thing is, you don't actually need him to admit it ( unlikely he ever will)
My brother has done some awful things and will deny it to the extent that I think he actually believes it now.
If you know he did it then you can have nothing to do with him if you choose to do so, you don't need him to agree to it.
The issue comes when/if your parents get involved as my MUm did - she knows the truth as well but can't bring herself to admit that her son is a lying thief

UnbornMortificado Mon 20-Mar-17 15:47:59

That's awful im so sorry. I never understand how people can do things like that to there family.

Something similar happened to my granny but it was taking out a loan to buy drugs that they were addicted too not to furnish his house.

Obviously both are deplorable and it's not an excuse but we (and my gran) at least know why they did it.

UnbornMortificado Mon 20-Mar-17 15:50:18

I've explained that a bit shit. Now my relative is clean he's disgusted by what he did, whereas your brother isn't. If that makes sense.

Im not saying it's ok because drugs were involved just that addiction can make people do horrible things.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:51:44

Nc
He has committed fraud.
Possible damaged your credit rating.
Smiled to your face and stole from you behind your back. .
Nice.

HmmOkay Mon 20-Mar-17 15:56:10

Of course it was him. He is shameless to blame it on his 10 year old son. What a scumbag.

Have you asked him how he paid for his new furniture? Where are the receipts for those?

Do an Experian credit report on you and your husband.

heateallthebuns Mon 20-Mar-17 16:03:25

What will happen to your brother? Will the police prosecute him?

hollyisalovelyname Mon 20-Mar-17 16:06:44

Christ on a bike - you are only thinking of going no contact.
He is a thief
A robber.

aginghippy Mon 20-Mar-17 16:14:28

He did a similar thing a few years ago?

Why is it 'admit it or I'm having nothing to do with you?' How is admitting it going to make it better? He used you and your dh's names to commit crimes. He obviously doesn't give a shit about you.

Just go no contact.

FetchezLaVache Mon 20-Mar-17 16:15:59

You wouldn't think they could deny it when the fraud squad comes back with their signatures on deliveries to their address of furniture that's now in their house! But they will. They must have a really low opinion of your intelligence to think you might ever believe this wasn't deliberate.

It's such an awful thing to do. Fancy trying to pin it on their kid as well.

As for your mum, as Hopping said it's unlikely she'll want to face the truth and will prefer to stay out of it. We are NC with DP's brother (over an indirect offence of a completely different nature). DPIL know exactly what happened (as they witnessed it), but horrid brother (HB)maintains that our falling-out is due to a minor offence committed by DP several months earlier. DPIL know this to be BS, but just don't want to rock the boat. DP and I deeply resent HB taking the moral high ground in this scenario - we could get past it if he just held his hands up to it. So I completely understand how you feel - you just want them to admit what they've done!

Purely out of nosiness, you will report back when you hear from the fraud police, won't you? smile

FetchezLaVache Mon 20-Mar-17 16:19:07

PS having re-read my post, I should have said - even if they admit it, I wouldn't ever have anything to do with them again. You just want them to 'fess up for your own personal closure.

TheFormidableMrsC Mon 20-Mar-17 16:25:59

Gosh what a pair of shits they are! They are unlikely to admit it though and I have no faith in the police regarding fraud after my own experiences. My ex-h and OW set up a direct debit in my bank account because ex-h didn't want to pay for DD's mobile phone contract anymore and didn't want end the contract as it would have cost him several hundred pounds. Ex-h rang bank and handed phone to OW who pretended to be me in order to do this. When I discovered it I immediately contacted police who did bugger all frankly. I will be interested to see what the outcome of this is!

NC is the only way forward with your brother OP. I am stunned that he tried to blame his own child!!

Luna2016 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:36:03

I guess I want him to admit it just so he'll take responsibility for once. Even if he did admit it I wouldn't have anything to do with him I just wanted to see if it came to seeing his own sister ment more to him then saving his own skin.

What I learn today was that the date the account was created was the day after my daughter was born, she was born nine weeks early and was in NICU for a while because she couldn't breath on her own properly sad. (Thankfully she's okay now)

Me and my husbands helped him loads of times and he whent and did that when I didn't even know my child was going to be okay.
I just want something that everyone can see for themself how much of a d*ck he is. From a young age he's gotten away with all sorts (driving without licence, fraud, stealing, cheating) I just want him to get what's long overdue.

HmmOkay Mon 20-Mar-17 18:27:18

It wasn't a coincidence that he set up this account the day after your daughter was born.

He thought you'd be too busy in NICU to be suspicious of what he was up to. And it was therefore an ideal opportunity for him to get away with it.

He knew your daughter was sick and immediately saw an opportunity to defraud you.

That is who he is. There is no coming back from that.

regularbutpanickingabit Mon 20-Mar-17 19:48:47

That's disgusting but sadly no uncommon. The only way he will get punished is not by you cutting him off, but by you reporting him and pressing charges.
I really feel for you. How awful.

FetchezLaVache Mon 20-Mar-17 19:53:53

What Hmm said. The cynicism is breathtaking. I'm sorry, but your brother and his partner are a pair of utter cunts.

BonnyScotland Mon 20-Mar-17 19:56:45

your DB is disgusting... you know he did this and has been caught AGAIN.... get rid x

FetchezLaVache Mon 20-Mar-17 19:58:28

However, from a fraud detection point of view, you can prove where you were and what you were doing on the day the account was set up, and nobody in the world is going to believe that you took the time to fund your brother's house and furniture upgrade when your newborn child was so poorly. So glad to hear she made a full recovery!

UnbornMortificado Mon 20-Mar-17 20:43:12

That's horrible about when he did it, not that it's not all horrible but doing it when your child was in hospital is just beyond the pale.

Luna2016 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:59:51

It's my nephews birthday next month, he's having a party. Me and my husband are taking our DD's. It's just going to be hard if they try and talk to us or anything.
It's had no effect on my nephew we still have him over, and take him out with us (zoo, cinema). So far I've just completely blanked my brother and his partner.

Softkitty2 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:45:10

Report to the police and let them hand him his punishment. He needs to learn of reprecussions or else he will carry one because he is forgiven each time.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 31-Mar-17 23:25:20

Awful behaviour. I hope he faves some legal consequences, although I know it won't match the enourmity of the betrayal for you sad

user1491222850 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:20:36

this is awful. Unfortunately this seems more common than anyone actually speaks about. I originally opened this thread for some advice myself when I seen it. (sorry to put this on your post, just seems related) I have a friend in the same situation however this is a higher sum, a credit card spend which has escalated. He gave the credit card and pin to someone he trusted and they abused it. He doesn't want them to get into too much trouble however he doesn't want the debt in his name. long shot, but does anyone have any advice on what can be done?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 13-Apr-17 22:46:39

User. Where someone has given the card and pin to someone else I am afraid the credit card company will not refund as in effect they themselves have been negligent in giving them tge detaiks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now