Talk

Advanced search

I am best to break this friendship off, aren't I?

(6 Posts)
RainbowsAndLemonDrops Sat 18-Mar-17 15:35:25

I've been friends with my best friend for 6 years. We're both mid 20's. Its not been an easy ride, we've argued, drifted, become close again and now drifting but it seems for good this time. In a nutshell she's been through my toughest times but has been the main cause of them too. She has form for sleeping with married men (something I disagree with immensely) and after it happening for the fourth time in August I decided to distance myself.

Sometimes she speaks to me like absolute shit, she's also very close friends with people I just don't like. It seems a silly reason but I think I'd just prefer to be on my own...

I met DP around the time I began to distance myself (she thinks it's because of him, it isn't) , he also knew my best friend really well and a few months ago actually told me he knew my deepest darkest secrets already - so called friend had told him before we even got together. Things I asked her to never tell anyone. Since I met DP I've been excluded from nights out, parties, dinners and other things. I've decided to delete her number and move on.

I feel like I've lost a part of me, I didn't have many friends to begin with... I don't make friends very easily, she knows so much about me and it just seems a shame it's come to this. This post seems a ramble I know, I just wanted perspective from an unbiased person and an outsiders point of view.

Holland00 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:03:40

Friendships are supposed to be based on trust, if you aren't enjoying her company and she has already broken your trust, then she's not much of a friend IMO.

Cherrysoup Sat 18-Mar-17 22:34:28

I had a friend like that, who ultimately lost all her friends because she did what your friend has done. Although it may seem that she's your biggest best pal right now, in a couple of years you'll look back and wonder why you spent so much time with her. Dump the shit out of her!

Marmalade85 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:37:00

I don't really have any real friends apart from my best friend who I've known for 20 years (I'm 31) and we've never had the problems which you've described. Block and move on.

ChuckDaffodils Sat 18-Mar-17 22:38:24

OP you intimated you were going to post about a friendship? The words in your first post bear no resemblance to any friendship I've ever had.

user1472334322 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:53:18

Sounds like a 'friend' I have (aside from the sleeping round thing). I've also got to the point where distancing myself is the best thing for me. I've realised I think too much about the feelings of others above my own so it's my turn now. Telling others things they were supposed to keep secret is the nail in the coffin I think. Time to find some new friends, not easy I know, but better for you. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now