Mother In Law - partner issue

(3 Posts)
Pinkshoestar Thu 16-Mar-17 18:55:17

Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to approach a problem on the horizon with my mother in law.

She is unmarried but has a partner of 8 years who neither me or my husband can stand. He is odd to say the least but he is also extremely rude and holds some views which we both find offensive and also completely contradictory to our own.

Mother in law is - by her own admission - not interested in marrying this man and is only with him because she does not want to be alone.

My relationship with my mother in law is strained at the best of times. We don't really get along that well historically but I put up with her occasional digs and rude comments because I want our 2 year old daughter to have a good relationship with her.

Just recently, mother in law has begun to say how much she is looking forward to the days when our daughter is old enough to spend weekends with her and her partner. I do not have an issue with my daughter staying with her grandmother but I do not want her partner to be around my daughter when I am not there. There is something odd about him, he has some very extreme views which we disagree with and even his own 2 children (who are grown up) do not speak to him or have a relationship with him. I find this very strange too and I don't want my child around him. He's weird and I don't trust him. How do I address this issue with my mother in law, bearing in mind we don't exactly get along that well even at the best of times?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cherrysoup Sat 18-Mar-17 22:37:05

You just don't let your dd stay with her, simple. Your child, your choice.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 21-Mar-17 16:49:43

If she is rude to you etc why would you be happy she has your dd unsupervised?
If she doesn't respect you I wouldn't agree to that!!
Would she have respect for your parenting when she had dd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now