We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Been offered less than minimum wage

(7 Posts)
nonewnamesagain Sat 11-Mar-17 20:13:17

I've been offered a job (won't say what as don't want to get caught out) today. The manager is lovely and its her business and she has never employed anyone before.

She told me the pay was £6.50 ph and as I haven't done an hourly rate job since I was under 21 this sounded fine and I accepted

However my friend pointed out to be today that this isn't minimum wage, and that at 23 I should be paid £6.95. I didn't mind the wage of £6.50 but now I feel I should at least be getting minimum wage. I really want this job, and I'm worried if I bring it up she will opt for someone younger so she can stick to her proposed hourly rate.

WWYD?

WaitingInAzkaban Sat 11-Mar-17 20:15:42

I would tell her. If anything it'll stop her from breaking the law, maybe she just didn't realise there were different minimum wages for different age brackets?

PidgeyfinderGeneral Sat 11-Mar-17 20:17:05

I would not work for below the minimum wage.

My suggestion would be to point out to her that her offer is below the minimum wage and say that you'd take the job for £7.00 p/h. If she refuses, she is not the kind of person you would want to work for. She must know she's offering too little, so she is taking the piss.

Value yourself and your skills.

nonewnamesagain Sat 11-Mar-17 20:20:23

Actually, If she does pay me less that minimum wage, won't the tax office pick up on it?

JassyRadlett Sat 11-Mar-17 20:21:01

From 1 April the NMW for you will go up to £7.05.

If she employed you at £6.50, she would be breaking the law. It's really that simple.

Akire Sat 11-Mar-17 20:21:14

From 1st April it comes up for 21-24y olds to £7.05, she probable didn't know or check. Yes she could employ a 20 y old on the £5.60 per hour but she find hard sack them at 21 just to pay a new person less.

RaindropsRoses Wed 15-Mar-17 20:18:31

The tax office wouldn't pick it up as they wouldn't know how many hours you're working...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now