Talk

Advanced search

Dog attacked my dog

(42 Posts)
morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 10:44:23

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. In need of some advice and perspective please.
Whilst walking my dog in a local 'dog walking park' earlier in the week, my dog was aggressively attacked by another dog. My dog was on a lead and harness. The other dog was off lead, no collar. He spotted us from the other side of the park (we were just inside the gated entrance), hurtled towards us snarling and frothing and started a frenzied biting attack on my dog. The person with the dog (young lad, about 17-18) was sat some way away, scrolling through his phone. On hearing my screams he partly ran over but then stood 12 feet away, too petrified to intervene. He kept saying 'I don't know what to do'. I was screaming at him to get his dog (which was now biting at my boots as I tried to kick it off). My dog laid there whimpering and cowering. The whole thing went on for about 3 minutes before the lad manged to pull the snarling dog off mine. I was very shaken and retreated as fast as I could. Went straight home to collect my car to get to the vets. My dog is ok physically - very bruised, had some painkilling injections. He's now really nervous though, and hid under the bed for a while. I've only walked him in a really secluded wood since, a 10 minute drive away, where there are few other walkers/dogs, but if we see any, he cowers at my side. I'm too afraid to walk in the local area.
I called the police to report, and initially they were very helpful. I know the other dog, and have seen it before on walks but always with a woman who I assume to be the Mum of the boy. It's always been on a lead before, although has always snapped and snarled at us. So I was able to tell them the name of the owner. My hope for an outcome was that the owner would be advised to keep their dog on a lead and muzzled in a public place. However, had a call from PCSO yesterday who was rather snippy and dismissive. Said that she'd spoken to the owner who said for some reason her dog doesn't like our dog, and isn't aggressive with any other dogs. I replied that was hardly the point, and surely one aggressive attack is one too many. She said that the owner had said that if they see us in future they will put their dog on a lead. They obviously have no comprehension of how out of control the dog was at the time of the attack. There was no chance of getting a lead on it before the damage was done! I told her that I was now afraid to walk my dog in the local area (I don't know exactly where they live but suspect within 1 mile radius as I often see them out and about). The PCSO snapped a reply that 'I've done what I was tasked to do, which is speak to the owner, what else is it you want?' I said that I wanted some reassurance that their dog would be kept under control in future, and that I don't think it was fair to tell me to try to avoid the other dog when I don't know where the other dog might be at any time. She said that she'd have to go away and think about it and get some advice, because she' not an 'expert on dog law'. She then put the phone down on me.
She's due to call over the weekend with a follow up. I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences and could advise. Or does anyone know what my rights are, if any?
It sounds ridiculous but I was absolutely terrified, and have been tearful and anxious ever since. It really brought it home to me that when a dog attacks there is very little you can do. I was driving past the local park a couple of days ago and saw the same dog running around the park, off lead. I feel so angry (and sad) that people can be so irresponsible.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Hercules12 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:47:55

No advice but who on earth keeps a dog like that and also let's it off lead ever?

Hercules12 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:48:26

Lets not let's- autocorrect.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:50:49

What a horrible thing to happen. Dog attacks are so frightening. I'm not sure what you can do other than avoid the area this dog is in. I hate irresponsible dog owners, they make life so difficult for everyone else.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 11-Mar-17 10:50:54

I take all your points, but the owners have said they'll keep it on the lead in future. What more do you want them to agree to do?

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 10:51:36

The other dog is a Springer Spaniel, a breed not known for being aggressive. To be fair I have seen it running around with other dogs. No idea why it doesn't like mine, who is so gentle and placid, doesn't even bark!

Mumteedum Sat 11-Mar-17 10:51:45

I'd ring back the station and ask to speak to someone who does know dog law! That pcso s attitude is really bad. She was plain rude.

It is very frightening to be there helpless. My dog was attacked once and it took 3 men to get the thing off my dog. Police were good although didn't trace them as it was in forest and no way of tracing them.

Im sorry this happened to you and your poor dog flowers

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 10:53:15

No, that haven't said they'll keep on lead in future. Quite the opposite. They've said they will put it on a lead if they see us. Not much use if they're 100 years away and it's already attacking.

KarmaNoMore Sat 11-Mar-17 10:55:26

Hmm... my friend had something similar with a woman and her dogs (friend was walking on her own with no dog). She called the police who were very dismissive.

It happened again, when she told the woman she was going to call the police, the dog owner told her : call them hun, my ex is a policeman, they'll ignore you.

She was attacked for the third time the police told my friend to find another place to walk around shockangry

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 10:56:49

Thanks mumteedum
PCSO said she'd call back this weekend, which is why I wanted to be informed and considered today!

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 10:59:40

That's so bad Karma
Seems a very similar message to the one I'm being given.
I just can't get my head around how you could know your dog is capable of something like that, and not do anything about it. if my dog had done it I'd be mortified.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:00:19

My gorgeous docile placid lab was attacked by a springer spaniel the other day. I felt so sorry for her.

I have two labs, and my boy lab is dog aggressive. He has attacked in the past but I am very quick to separate him from the other dog, offer my name and number if they think there might be a vets bill, (there hasn't been, it just seems the right thing to offer), and generally walk as remotely as I can but always put him on his lead if I can see another dog about. It is truly horrible having a dog aggressive dog especially as he is so gorgeous with humans; he just doesn't like dogs. Makes walking very stressful.

Owners have a responsibility to limit any attacks and act responsibly, which this family don't seem to be doing. I'm not sure how the law looks at it though.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:01:21

My gorgeous docile placid lab was attacked by a springer spaniel the other day. I felt so sorry for her.

I have two labs, and my boy lab is dog aggressive. He has attacked in the past but I am very quick to separate him from the other dog, offer my name and number if they think there might be a vets bill, (there hasn't been, it just seems the right thing to offer), and generally walk as remotely as I can but always put him on his lead if I can see another dog about. It is truly horrible having a dog aggressive dog especially as he is so gorgeous with humans; he just doesn't like dogs. Makes walking very stressful.

Owners have a responsibility to limit any attacks and act responsibly, which this family don't seem to be doing. I'm not sure how the law looks at it though.

Mumteedum Sat 11-Mar-17 11:03:07

www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Bloopbleep Sat 11-Mar-17 11:03:36

Police told me after I was attacked by a Great Dane that as it was only the first report of violence from the dog there wasn't much they could do. If there were subsequent reports they'd see it as a pattern of behaviour and have more remedies at their disposal. That said the owner also refused to answer the phone to the police and didn't call back when messages were left on his phone so it could have attacked many more before or after and the police would never know.

I'm now 7 months down the line with permanent scars and the skin is still black/brown from bruising and I'm not sure it's ever going to go back to normal.

I'd get back on to the police and tell them of your expectations. A violent dog should be muzzled in public imo

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 11:04:26

And that's just it isn't it thickandthin - that's all you can do. You're being a responsible owner. I'm not looking for anything other than an assurance of responsibility. I'm out of pocket with the vet bill, an apology would have been nice but ultimately I just want to know that a recurrence will be avoided if possible.
I have a feeling there's no law to back us up, sadly.
Hope your lab is ok.

BiteyShark Sat 11-Mar-17 11:06:55

Hmmm could you not take her to small claims court for vet bill at the very least?

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 11:07:25

Thanks for the link Mum. That seems pretty clear.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:09:33

I'm so surprised Bloop that they seemed so wishy washy with you, as a dog has attacked a person. I would have thought it would be treated seriously.

Mumteedum Sat 11-Mar-17 11:10:37

Good luck with phone call today and your dog's recovery.

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 11:11:46

I probably could Bitey, but honestly, I'm not bothered about the money. It's more that each morning, before work, I sit procrastinating about taking him for his morning walk, because of what might happen. So I end up driving for 10 minutes to be out of the area, and it just seems ridiculous.
Sorry to hear of your experience Bloopbleep. Sounds absolutely awful. Luckily I'm unscathed although my wellies have taken a hit.

ohtheholidays Sat 11-Mar-17 11:13:33

Ring the Police station or go into the Police station and speak to someone else,someone that isn't an idiot(my DH';s in the Police Force and he'd be speaking to the person you spoke to and pulling them up on what they'd said to you)and when you speak to someone else make sure you tell them that the Dog also went for you and that you've seen it of the lead in a busy area since it attacked your Dog and you!

Blodplod Sat 11-Mar-17 11:13:59

I'm posting a quick response and haven't fully digested the whole thread but didn't the law change last April regards dogs being 'out of control?'. Essentially their dog was out of control in a public place and attacked your dog. Regardless of their steps to try to address this situation in the future, as you quite rightly point out this isn't a convincing confirmation that they are going to have the dog under any more control in the future. As I understood the law changed so that if you, in any way shape or form feel threatened by a dog the owner can be prosecuted- something along those lines anyway. I remember feeling quite alarmed as this covers the postman/delivery driver who comes into your property invited or not..

Not immediately helpful in this instance but in future (may sound melodramatic to some) I would wear a go pro, or carry a spray like 'pet corrector' to use on the attacking dog..

I've had one incident of a pack of dogs attacking mine, police were brilliant but couldn't do much as we couldn't trace the owners.

I've also had a guy threatening to shoot me as I was on his land (I wasn't it's a public bridleway) and again police were excellent but it boiled down to my word against his and the 3 other occupants of his car. Stupidly I own a go pro and didn't even think of wearing it for walking the dog!

ohtheholidays Sat 11-Mar-17 11:16:14

Also get proof from your Vet about what state your Dog was in and what it's cost you in vet bills and what it's caused in the way of anxiety for you and your Dog,if your boots look bad and have clear bite marks on them from the other Dog take them in as well as proof!

But make sure you don't speak to the same person you spoke to on the phone and Good luck.

morbidhamster Sat 11-Mar-17 11:23:08

Thanks so much for your replies Holidays and Plod. All good advice.
I definitely feel more empowered and informed now. Will definitely look out some 'pet corrector' or similar too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now