Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should DD break her Lent chocolate abstinence?

(32 Posts)
Corialanusburt Fri 10-Mar-17 16:21:05

DD 10 would like the verdict of the mumsnet jury about her dilemma. She decided to give up chocolate for Lent as she absolutely loves it but recognises that a lot is not good for her.
She's been brilliant and resisted multiple temptations. She's now remembered that her birthday falls righ in the middle of Lent.
So can she break her abstinence for that one day? What do you think?

Deadsouls Fri 10-Mar-17 16:22:22

Yes.

AtSea1979 Fri 10-Mar-17 16:22:56

No.

crumpetsandcoffee Fri 10-Mar-17 16:23:06

Absolutely

alltouchedout Fri 10-Mar-17 16:23:20

Is she an observant Christian? If so, does she think God will understand? If not, why on earth is she observing Lent?

321zerobaby Fri 10-Mar-17 16:23:41

No.

TheresHensInTheSkirting Fri 10-Mar-17 16:24:38

Yes, but she needs to make it worthwhile. Like a chocolate ice cream sundae with chocolate fudge pieces and chocolate sauce. Don't give in for a Milky Way! Do this properly smile

BikeRunSki Fri 10-Mar-17 16:25:23

No!

Only because I'd kill for some red wine but I've given up sugar.

ValiaH Fri 10-Mar-17 16:26:17

I discovered the other day that Sunday's aren't counted in Lent in the Western church, so if her birthday falls on a Sunday she can legitimately eat chocolate then. If she is feeling that she shouldn't break her fast then she can always save her birthday chocolates for the Sunday afterwards?

vvviola Fri 10-Mar-17 16:31:14

Growing up (in good Catholic Ireland if that gives my opinion any extra weight), we were always given 2 "exempt days" for sweets/chocolate in lent, if those days happened to fall in lent - St. Patrick's Day and my best friend's birthday party day. Mind you, we didn't get Sunday's "off". grin

Corialanusburt Fri 10-Mar-17 16:32:24

Oh it's not quite a Sunday Valia but good idea.
Alltouchedout - no she's not a Christian but she learnt about it at Brownies and thought it would be a good lesson in self control. I'm. Dry proud of her cos I couldn't give up my wine and iPad for any length of time.

INeedNewShoes Fri 10-Mar-17 16:33:47

No. I know that when I gave up chocolate for Lent as a teenager I wouldn't have been pleased with myself if I'd given myself a day off.

Make a scrumptious non chocolatey cake instead.

Corialanusburt Fri 10-Mar-17 16:34:19

Ha vviola. That'll be good to tell her. She's half Irish!

Losgunna Fri 10-Mar-17 16:36:45

The Irish get st Patrick's day off lent. My dad is Irish so he always said to me I could have it off as I was half Irish ;)

Couldashouldawoulda Fri 10-Mar-17 16:36:56

No - there are loads of cakes and other birthday treats that don't have chocolate in them. Stick to those!

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 10-Mar-17 16:37:40

Jesus was a great one for bending rules when it was the kind and loving thing to do. Healing someone on the Sabbath being a prime example. I reckon he would be OK about taking a day off to celebrate a birthday smile

MsJuniper Fri 10-Mar-17 16:37:56

I think she'll be prouder of herself if she holds out. If it's only chocolate she's given up, she can still have a cake. I'd encourage her to stick with it and promise a belated birthday chocolate treat after Easter.

NapQueen Fri 10-Mar-17 16:39:00

Id offer to make her a non chocolate birthday cake and promise her a big bar of galaxy for 1st April or whenever Lent ends.

Maybe give other gift givers the nod so she doesnt get any choc presents.

Corialanusburt Fri 10-Mar-17 16:44:46

That's what I told her achicken.

Corialanusburt Fri 10-Mar-17 17:20:15

Roll up. Roll up. It's 7 all for Yes and No at the moment.

Treaclespongeandcustard Fri 10-Mar-17 17:25:05

I think no too. Choose her a fantastic cake without chocolate.

FallenSky Fri 10-Mar-17 17:28:56

Yes. It's one day and a special day at that.

Helenluvsrob Fri 10-Mar-17 17:29:11

Lenten fasts can be broken on Sundays and special days - e.g. St Patrick's day. You can probably find a saint if you look at the Roman Catholic calendar 😂
Otherwise what we would do would be save a Sunday up ... dd has gone pescatarian ( Sony default have dh and I) its Not a hardship but we will have a toast dinner on Mother's Day.

InTheDessert Fri 10-Mar-17 17:29:24

The 40 days of Lent are spread over 7 weeks. As mentioned above, I discovered just this year Sundays aren't counted. So I'd say if you "fast" for 40 days between Ash Wed and Easter, you've done what you set out to do. In most cases it's easier to just do the whole lot rather than count days.
I vote for Birthdays in Kent being excepted from fasting. My birthday will never fall in Kent.

InTheDessert Fri 10-Mar-17 17:29:53

Lent... I may be in Kent one year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now