Talk

Advanced search

New car chip in windscreen WWYD?

(8 Posts)
Mungobungo Thu 09-Mar-17 17:48:17

Bought a car last week, its 6 months old, ex demo model and bought from a respected dealership. I drove the car home, only to then discover a decent sized chip in the windscreen on the passenger side, hidden from my view from the driver's seat by the mirror.

I had an email from the guy at the dealership asking how I was getting on with the car and I replied saying that I love over the car, but it has a chip. No reply.

So, do I get back in touch and ask them to rectify (bearing in mind that I have no evidence that the chip was on the car when I got it home) or just leave it and claim on my insurance for the repair, which will cost me the excess?
WWYD?

Sirzy Thu 09-Mar-17 17:49:20

Would you have to pay an excess? When I had a window repair done it was free via the insurance (or maybe about £20?)

Mungobungo Thu 09-Mar-17 21:29:04

I'm not sure without having a good read of the policy document. I'll have a good look over it tomorrow after work.

wickerlampshade Fri 10-Mar-17 10:56:28

Did you sign something to say car in good condition? if so you'll have to suck it up. usually cheap and doesn't affect NCB

olliegarchy99 Fri 10-Mar-17 11:01:29

just get it fixed on your car insurance - as others have said it is usually free and does not affect NCB
if you have a chip in the driver's area of the windscreen - the whole windscreen has to be replaced usually - quite right of course.

helenfagain Fri 10-Mar-17 11:08:25

You only have to have the windscreen replaced if a chip in the drivers area is over 1cm diameter. I know as I just had one repaired a couple of weeks ago.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 10-Mar-17 11:40:50

What I would just say, is if your renewal is imminent, get it done now. I had to have replacements done twice within about two months a few years ago, luckily falling each side of my renewal date as it was only one claim per year free.

Mungobungo Sat 11-Mar-17 09:09:01

Wickerlampshade. Nope didn't s sign anything regarding car's condition.

And I've only just taken out the policy as it's a new car.

Had a follow up email from the dealership asking how I'm enjoying the car. I did mention that we'd found a chip and I've had no reply. Obviously I don't know if I think happened on the way home if it was already there so I'll get it fixed and forget about it.

Thanks for the replies all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now