Talk

Advanced search

Car insurance-to claim or not?

(5 Posts)
Endlesslllove Thu 09-Mar-17 13:38:35

Sorry for boring post, but not sure what's the best thing to do. I reversed into someone's car causing a smallish dent across two of his doors. He's had a quote from a body shop of £260 to repair it. Called my insurance company and they said I'd lose two years no claims if I claim. Ins company couldn't tell me how much premium would go up. There's no excess to pay.
I drive an ancient golf so my premium is only £170 per year. However I will need to replace my car with something newer at some point.
So should I pay the £260 cash or claim on my insurance? Advice appreciated!

Redglitter Thu 09-Mar-17 13:43:07

I'd claim. If your policy is £170 then even allowing for your NCD being reduced you're still better off This is what you're paying insurance for. When it comes to renewal time shop around. Lots of places give discounts to new customers

WandaBack Thu 09-Mar-17 13:50:43

I wouldn't claim, but it's too late now as you've notified the insurance company and they will have it on record.
Your premium is affected if you have an accident, irrespective of whether you make a claim. When you apply for insurance they will ask whether you have been in any accident irrespective of whether it was your fault or whether or not you made a claim.

Endlesslllove Thu 09-Mar-17 21:25:58

Thanks both, food for thought. Think I'm going to claim and hope the increase to future premiums isn't too disastrous.

wickerlampshade Fri 10-Mar-17 11:00:03

You've told them now so may as well claim as you'll have to declare it anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now