Talk

Advanced search

Would you emigrate?

(10 Posts)
Tortycat Wed 01-Mar-17 21:54:25

Dh was made redundant at Christmas, and looking like he's got a new one, but in Stockholm. I am full of apprehension as all the sacrifices would be mine - leaving my job, friends and mostly my elderly mother who I would feel terrible about leaving. Our dc are 2.5 and 6 months. Has anyone had experience of moving from the uk to sweden? Have people been happy moving?

KeepCalm Wed 01-Mar-17 21:56:08

I'd go in a heartbeat by DH wouldn't. We visited southern Sweden and it was wonderful!

Can you take a career break rather than leave completely?

Life's too short, do it!

Nospringflower Wed 01-Mar-17 22:03:42

I have friends who moved to Sweden and love it but I wouldn't want to go! I think it depends what type of person you are.

I like being close to my family and friends, and to live within my own culture. I don't want to start again somewhere new!

outabout Wed 01-Mar-17 22:12:57

Sweden is probably one of the better options. Traveling 'home' need not be super expensive and like many European countries English is widely spoken.
Would it be permanent? Your DC would be able to grow up there which might be very good for them.

Tortycat Wed 01-Mar-17 22:24:42

No spring flower - I think that's my worry. I like our life here and have no idea how I'd adapt. I am a worrier, esp with lots of uncertainties eg Brexit and how that might change things for brits abroad. Dh says we could come back if we're unhappy, though obviously he'd have to get a job here which is proving difficult at the mo.

I couldn't work as my job is very language dependent, and also feel hesitant to give up any financial independence. Although I probably could work again if we came back, even though it might take me a while to get back into it.

Tortycat Wed 01-Mar-17 22:27:23

Out about- dh also thinks dc would be better off in sweden. He's travelled there quite a lot with work but I've only been for one weekend in summer - feels hard to base a decision on!

KeepCalm Thu 02-Mar-17 07:04:18

The people that we've spoken to say the schooling is excellent and their children have settled in very well.

English is widely spoken, are you sure your job isn't transferable?

SpringSpringSpring Thu 02-Mar-17 07:14:41

I would jump at the chance to leave the UK at the moment but in your situation I would be very worried about how to maintain contact and look after your mum

PurpleDaisies Thu 02-Mar-17 07:17:21

I've got friends who emigrated to Gothenburg and love it there. I'm too much of a homebody to want to go permanently but I'd consider a year or two abroad.

Tortycat Thu 02-Mar-17 10:35:25

My mum is my main worry - my only other sibling is 3 hrs drive away and my mum is getting to the stage where it's harder for her to travel. However Ltd options may mean we have to go. Good to hear that others have enjoyed it there though thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now