Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you be worried if this was your baby?....

(28 Posts)
ricecrispies16 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:53:14

My little girl is 6 months old, has had an awful cold since yesterday. She's been very snotty and generally miserable all day. Tonight she has been screaming, won't take a bottle, won't take a dummy, won't settle, just crying inconsolably. Finally got her to sleep and she sounds so congested. She just woke crying again and has a barking cough and is breathing very loudly. Louder than today.

Should I assume that it's worse because it's night time and she's laying down (like it would be for an adult) or would you be concerned?

I'm very worried and can't relax thinking something is wrong....

welshweasel Wed 01-Mar-17 20:54:54

If you're worried maybe give 111 a ring and see what they say. At 6 months I'd have a low threshold for getting her checked out if you are concerned.

ParisGellar Wed 01-Mar-17 20:57:07

Because you said 'barking' cough id be slightly concerned it's croup. Is there a funny grating noise when she's breathing in? Croup is usually self limiting but I wouldn't hesitate in getting her checked. Hope she's ok.

ParisGellar Wed 01-Mar-17 20:58:09

Cold air and cold drinks help with the breathing difficulties that can come along with croup. My DS had it at New Years and we slept in the conservatory in the cold to relieve the symptoms.

Apfelbunny Wed 01-Mar-17 20:59:35

Maybe call that doctor helpline number (can't remember it, sorry) and see what they'd suggest.

I'm not a doctor so don't necessarily do as I would, but what I do when my baby is like that is snugglebabe feet and chest and calpol them.
I also raise the top end of the cot
And put to sleep sideways or on tummy - as an adult I can't sleep ony back if I'm congested and I always feel worse at night.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 01-Mar-17 21:01:10

Anything that's not right with a baby's breathing, don't mess around. Take her to A&E, they'll be happy to check her over.

Really - go.

ricecrispies16 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:07:39

Thanks everyone. My SIL is a nurse, she's going to come over and have a look/listen and I'll go from there

Piggeligg Wed 01-Mar-17 21:07:47

Definitely get her checked out if you're worried about her breathing. It's very hard to tell if it's all in the nose/throat or in the chest.
No healthcare professionals ever mind checking a baby over.

Piggeligg Wed 01-Mar-17 21:08:14

Cross post!

BlackMirror Wed 01-Mar-17 21:10:06

I take it she's had paracetomal

LadyCatherinedeBourgh Wed 01-Mar-17 21:11:48

Hope your little girl is ok. My baby is 6 months and had a cold bug for over a week and was so poorly. Thank goodness she's on the mend now but it was nasty and I got her checked at two separate times by GPs. When they're this small nobody minds, get her checked as better safe than sorry X

memyselfandaye Wed 01-Mar-17 21:12:09

Do you have any saline spray for her nose and some olbas oil?

Nospringflower Wed 01-Mar-17 21:13:17

Hope your SiL can give you good advice. Lying down does make your breathing worse but that doesn't mean its ok.

We hadn't been too concerned about my son (who was older) and phoned 111 and they sent an ambulance after listening to him over the phone. We still thought it might be an over reaction but he ended up being admitted. It's not worth taking any chances if you are unsure.

BertieBotts Wed 01-Mar-17 21:16:45

NO olbas oil for babies. It's too strong for them and can cause chemical burns.

ricecrispies16 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:18:26

It's just so worrying when they're this small because they can't tell you or describe how they're feeling. I prefer to have her checked to make sure she's ok but can't help but feel like a nuisance

ricecrispies16 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:21:19

I might get one of them plug in Vicks type things ( I can't remember what they're called but my older daughter had one when she was a baby)

BertieBotts Wed 01-Mar-17 21:24:42

Never feel like a nuisance with a baby so young. Your instincts are there for a reason, if you're not sure, get her checked. They can go downhill so fast, so better safe than sorry.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Wed 01-Mar-17 21:38:55

Always always go with a young baby/child. They can't communicate and they can turn very ill very quickly. You are not wasting anyone's time, you are protecting the health of a very vulnerable person and no one will ever criticise you for that. It will take 5 minutes of their time to check her over and hopefully send you home, or get her the medical attention she needs.

My LB would not be here if my mum had not rung the hospital when he was 3 days old and I've listened to her advice ever since.

PastysPrincess Wed 01-Mar-17 21:44:26

I'd be worried about croup from what you've said. If you see the breastbone being sucked in she needs an ambulance straight away. My little one was hospitalised at 3 months with it...never take any chances with them at that age. When is your sister coming?

memyselfandaye Wed 01-Mar-17 21:46:37

I mean Olbas oil on a muslin or a tissue Bertie Not actually on the child.

I used to put it on a bib and hang it on the handle of the wardrobe next to the cot.

PonderLand Wed 01-Mar-17 21:50:35

Is your SIL a children's nurse OP? If not
I'd still ring 111 to see what they think is the best course of action.

BillyButtfuck Wed 01-Mar-17 21:51:31

You can buy a baby vapour rub which is fine for babies of that age, also Calpol do a plug in. Keep an eye on her over night and call Gp first thing.

Sending healing thoughts flowers

BillyButtfuck Wed 01-Mar-17 21:52:24

Meant to attach this photo

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 01-Mar-17 21:58:35

Some checks you can do
Is she breathing really fast?
Is there any drawing in around her ribs (sternal recession) or at her throat (tracheal tug).
There are other signs like blue lips or finger tips

Is she dehydrated? How many wet nappies so far today?

Tbh, if any if these is a yes, you should probably go to A&E with such a young one. They can deteriorate quickly and she might need a bit of help if it's bronchitis.

Hopefully it's just a chesty cough, or mild infection that'll clear up soon. I wouldn't be taking her into the cold to try and relieve symptoms as this can make symptoms worse if it's something else.

If you go to A&E, go prepared to stay overnight, Just in case.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 01-Mar-17 21:59:15

*bronchiolitis.

Bloody phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now