Talk

Advanced search

Crappy customer service: vote with feet, or complain?

(9 Posts)
tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 11:56:46

Had my car serviced last week. All that went well, great customer service. So far so good.

When I brought it in I mentioned that I am planning to change it, and could I talk to someone in sales. This is a high end marque and even if I don't buy new (and I could have been persuaded to possibly), I'll be spending £££. It's the sort of showroom where they spend ages curating a perfect cup of coffee for you if you get my drift.

The woman I spoke to was fairly perfunctory but it was towards the end of the day, so I thought nothing of it. She promised to email me with a PX value for my car and details of some possible replacements. All good.

Two days later she rang me to say that the email was bouncing back. Had she got the right address? Answer: no, when she read it out she'd missed the dot out of the dotcom. She promised to re-send.

I'd heard nothing by the end of the next day and, yknow what with wanting a new car, I rang her. It was her day off and no one else could help because I was "her" customer. I could leave a message: so I said please could she do what she'd promised and send me the email. (I know I sound snotty but I was pleasant enough).

Yesterday, still no email. I rang again only to be told that X was with a customer. Would I like her to ring me back? Answer: no, I'd like her to send me the email she promised me on Monday. That is all.

Late morning, Sunday. Nada.

In the meantime I've been in touch with another dealership, found a new car, put a deposit on it etc.

I work in essentially a service industry. I would want to know if I was losing business because one of my team was delivering this sort of non-service. The car I'm buying is the same marque and I'm pretty sure could have been supplied by the first dealership so they have not only pissed off a customer but lost a sale.

I think I'm going to raise this with the dealership. Would you?

PS: now I've written it out, it's galvanised my thinking.

WonderMike Sun 26-Feb-17 11:58:16

Yes. Not in a Pretty Woman Rodeo Drive way, but factually.

tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 12:00:45

I think I'll have to google that!

tribpot Sun 26-Feb-17 12:04:58

I would do as you have done, vote with feet. But I would also provide feedback to the first dealership about why they lost the sale.

tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 12:07:18

Actually WonderMike, now I've googled it, I'm very tempted grin

Not sure a dumpy middle aged woman is quite going to cut the Julie Roberts mustard though.

tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 12:08:26

Julia, even

EssentialHummus Sun 26-Feb-17 12:13:20

I'd write to the branch manager and explain that this person cost the dealership a sale. I've actually found this attitude prevalent in car dealerships - you're selling me a £££ car, not a bag of crisps, why don't you act accordingly?

tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 12:18:48

Essential : yep, it's baffling. The service side of the business were great as well, but this is just massively disappointing. I suppose it could have been worse, she could have asked if DH was buying it for me grin

MrsMozart Sun 26-Feb-17 12:21:18

How not to win business and good influence people! Well done on voting with your feet and definitely complain!

We currently work with a high end car manufacturer and I know they'd want to know if it happened at one of their dealers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now