Talk

Advanced search

About this customer?

(17 Posts)
IHaveOtherNames Thu 23-Feb-17 11:23:10

Nc as this is potentially outing and tbh I'm expecting a flaming.

I work in a charity shop in a busy town centre. We have a couple who come in every day. They spend a good half hour in the shop as the female is partially sighted and takes a long time looking closely at the stock.

The problem is with the man. He is absolutely filthy and smells horrendous. I know I sound awful but as soon as they come in the shop empties. Customers apologise to us saying they can't stay because of the smell. The man obviously has continence issues and his trousers heavily stained.

What can we do? It's such a sensitive issue but we are losing customers and therefore money daily.

IHaveOtherNames Thu 23-Feb-17 11:53:16

Bump

Justmuddlingalong Thu 23-Feb-17 11:55:23

Is there an area manager you can bring in to deal with it?

Leggit Thu 23-Feb-17 12:01:10

I would be speaking to the lady and trying to find out if they have any service involvement. Perhaps they don't know they can ask for help, or maybe they don't want to, but it's available. If I felt anyone was in need of intervention I would find out as much as I could about them and then work out who to report to.

IHaveOtherNames Thu 23-Feb-17 12:05:47

The area manager is of little help. He urinated on the shop floor a few weeks ago and the AM said if we witnessed it we can ask him not to come back in. I just want a sensitive way of dealing with it.

Leggit Thu 23-Feb-17 12:09:34

Then look further than protecting the shop, protect the people and the shop issue will take care of itself. They need help. Be the person that stands up and tries to get them it.

LizzieMacQueen Thu 23-Feb-17 12:11:21

Where else do they go, library? bank? If I were you I would consult with other shop owners and see how they tackle the issue.

But it does sound like they need intervention.

BTW, what kind of stock turnover do you get that it's worth coming in every day?

mermaidsandunicorns Thu 23-Feb-17 12:11:53

We have a few customers like this where I work. The queue just clears when they come in. I feel really sorry for them as they aren't getting the personal care help that they deserve. I would never ever want to be at a stage where i'm wandering around a shop stinking of piss though no fault of my own. We've had people shat on the floor as well and my poor colleague has had to follow them round with a mop blush
I don't think there is much that you can do OP I always live with the hope that their doctor or relative will one day say something and intervene.

IHaveOtherNames Thu 23-Feb-17 12:23:50

How would you broach it leggit?

Lizzie new stock is put out all day every day. It's taken off the shelves if unsold within 2 weeks smile

Wondermoomin Thu 23-Feb-17 12:27:32

That's all really grim. If they don't even notice it enough to do something about it themselves then there must be other issues as well. I would phone the number for adult social care with your local council - our county council has a number to report concerns about an adult.

IHaveOtherNames Thu 23-Feb-17 12:28:37

Wonder but I have no idea of their names/addresses?

Waggamamma Thu 23-Feb-17 12:44:58

Could you strike up a bit of conversation to get more details?

- So what are your plans for the rest of the day?
- Do you have any family nearby?
- Are you looking for something specific? (if so, say you'll call them when it comes in and take details)
- Are you local / do you live nearby?
Over a few days you can build up a bit of picture of them and try to contact social services.

Sounds grim though and they obviously need support.

Leggit Thu 23-Feb-17 13:19:23

How would you broach it. By making conversation to find out more detail. This isn't going to happen overnight but gradually it will be possible to find out more about them which will lead on to the possibility of doing something positive for them.

QuestionableMouse Thu 23-Feb-17 17:33:36

It could also be that they have been offered support and refused it.

Leggit Thu 23-Feb-17 17:43:08

It totally could be, by that doesn't mean people should not try.

imthelastsplash Thu 23-Feb-17 17:52:08

There was a elderly lady who was like this in the town I live - she slowly got banned from most shops. I sat with her one day on a bench and chatted with her. She had no family, no support, no hot water, no heating. I asked if she wanted help and when she said yes I rang social services and spoke to them on the phone whilst she was there and they spoke to her and arranged for someone to come and speak to her. It was horrible knowing that she was so vulnerable and no one seemed to care. I haven't seen her for a long time.

mermaidsandunicorns Thu 23-Feb-17 18:07:29

that's very sad imthelastsplash

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now