Talk

Advanced search

Less Travel/Shitty Job, or More Travel/New Job?

(9 Posts)
Tweedledee3Tweedledum Tue 21-Feb-17 22:03:44

I am currently working in a role I no longer gain any satisfaction from, however it is a 5 minute drive from home, and means I can organise nursery drop off without issue.

A potential new job has come up. A role I have waited for. Something I will be extremely passionate about, but is an hour away. Nursery drop off will be difficult, and I'll have to negotiate flexible hours in potential new job.

What would you do?

AgentProvocateur Tue 21-Feb-17 22:17:18

Go for the new job. An hour is doable.

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Wed 22-Feb-17 08:47:43

You're right, it is. I should have mentioned that by this point I won't have a car, so will be via public transport - this may add another half hour to journey.

I guess if I wait for everything you've perfect, I'll stay in this job forever.

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Wed 22-Feb-17 08:48:11

*everything to be perfect

eddielizzard Wed 22-Feb-17 12:45:29

i would find out if the new job are willing to be flexible about hours and negotiate those hours. if they're not going to be flexible, is that a deal breaker?

also, are there any alternatives to public transport like a lift share scheme? i'm assuming that driving is out of the equation?

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Wed 22-Feb-17 17:53:41

Eddie, thank you. Do you think it would be appropriate to discuss flexible working prior to a job offer? I want to put all my cards on the table, but don't want to appear presumptuous and over confident.

eddielizzard Wed 22-Feb-17 18:23:22

ah sorry - didn't realise you hadn't got it yet.

if i were you i would go for it whole-heartedly. you don't know what might happen - anything could really. i think you can ask them what their flexible working policy is in the interview. i personally would wait until the job offer arrives to see exactly what it entails.

go! and decide when you have a decision to make. it's interesting enough that you're seriously considering it, so go! good luck!

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Wed 22-Feb-17 18:39:47

Great advice, thank you.

rookiemere Thu 02-Mar-17 08:35:08

Absolutely go for the interview. That way you can also ascertain if there's any scope for WFH flexing your hours around nursery pick ups and that sort of thing.

I had an interview yesterday for a promotion - just back from holiday and they wanted me to go to an interview which was at least 5 hrs travel each way. Internal, and I want the job, so I suggested that I do it via webex and they agreed !

You say the travel is an hour each way - is that your estimate or is that what you know it is in rush hour with a nursery drop off and pick up ( or is there a DP/DH who can do his fair share)? If it involves leaving at say 7.45 and getting in at 8.45 then that seems doable, but if it's actually more like an hour and a half in peak travel time, then you might want to think about staggering your hours, or think seriously about how much you want the position.

But all things to think about only when you've been offered the job !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now