Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I leave an organisation that needs me

(25 Posts)
stillpinching Wed 08-Feb-17 21:09:28

I am going to be deliberately vague as I don't want to out myself, but I work in an organisation, rather than a company, and have been there over 10 years. For the past 8 months I have been 'acting up' for my line manager, who is on long term sick. I have received no pay or other benefits for this and no formal request was made, though the expectation has most definitely there (I am a sort of deputy, so part of the role I suppose). Whenever I try to raise the issue of my future, how long the situation is likely to go on etc I am fobbed off with talk of my line manager and how nothing can be known until she decides whether she will be back. There have even been hints that the position would be advertised externally if she didn't and this would be a massive kick in the teeth for me as I know have done a good job, and this has been acknowledged, and there are several people in the organisation who have promoted internally without having to apply.

Our team is not in a good place - we are short-staffed with a couple of people seeking to leave/about to go on mat leave etc. I have seen a job that would be perfect for me come up elsewhere. It is to do the role I am now 'acting up' to. I can't decide whether to go for it or not. I would feel massively disloyal, and if I didn't get it, may have put myself out of the running where I am.

But it is so tempting and looks like it would be such a great opportunity. I know I need to speak to my current line manager and get her to commit to how she sees my future, but I don't actually know now how I would feel if she did offer me the role I have been doing permanently.

Any advice would be so welcome - it's times like this I actually miss my ex.

ToastieRoastie Wed 08-Feb-17 22:43:56

You need to think about yourself here. Go for the new role. If you get it, you could give your current organisation the chance to match the role if you think (at that point) that you don't want to leave them. If you do this, your current employer has to give you the step up as a contract, not as a promise to do it in the future.

People leave jobs all the time, organisations know this risk exists.

Floggingmolly Wed 08-Feb-17 22:45:44

Put yourself first. It's pretty obvious that you're not getting much returned loyalty from your current employers.

Fitzsimmons Wed 08-Feb-17 22:51:17

You should apply even if you are not sure if you want to. If you get the job you don't have to take it and if you don't then it's good experience for brushing up on interview skills etc. If you don't apply you will find yourself wondering "what if."

Brokenbiscuit Wed 08-Feb-17 22:53:47

As a manager, I would feel that I had failed massively if I allowed my organisation to become too dependent on any one individual - people move on, they get sick, their circumstances change. The organisation should be robust enough to cope and survive.

Your first obligation is to yourself, and it doesn't sound like your current organisation values your contribution fairly at the moment - or at least, they certainly don't show that they value it very effectively.

Go for the new job, and if you get it, you'll be in a better place to make some decisions about your future. Good luck!

LivininaBox Wed 08-Feb-17 22:56:49

Why would going for this other job put you out of the running? Don't tell your boss you are going for it. Sounds like a change could be good for you!

DPotter Wed 08-Feb-17 23:14:40

Go for it!
It may be sometime before something similar turns up, especially if you're getting cold vibes about this current acting up role.I agree - if you don't you will always wonder what could have happened

noblegiraffe Wed 08-Feb-17 23:16:50

Why do you feel any loyalty to them when they don't appear to feel any loyalty to you?

domesticslattern Wed 08-Feb-17 23:17:02

Good heavens, go for it.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 08-Feb-17 23:18:34

Apply for it.

Employers show they appreciate you pretty much the only way they can: with money. This will either be in your take home pay or by the management quality and time invested in the people there to create a great working environment.

Doesn't sound like your employer appreciates you. Find a better one.

scootinFun Wed 08-Feb-17 23:19:17

go for it or you'll regret it!

Imbroglio Wed 08-Feb-17 23:27:26

Go for it. Seriously. I understand why you feel conflicted but if you get the job it's a win for you and your employer will also be forced to find a better solution so your organisation will probably benefit as well. If they want to keep you they'll have to make it worth your while.

stillpinching Thu 09-Feb-17 06:09:42

Thank you for all this positive advice! You are all so right. The main thing holding me back is that in the type of work I do I would have to tell my superior before applying elsewhere - so she would have to know and I'm scared of telling her (absolutely ridiculous, but there it is blush) and then feel if I don't get it I'll look silly and she'll hold it against me.

Service users could also suffer in the short-medium term if I left and couldn't be replaced with an equivalent - a distinct possibility. Can't stop thinking about the other place though.

70ontheinside Thu 09-Feb-17 06:15:46

You telling your superior about the new job might be just the wake up call they need to up their game in order to keep you?

Chottie Thu 09-Feb-17 06:21:55

I would go for the new job too.

From what you say about your organisation, if your boss doesn't come back, the job could be advertised externally too and there is no guarantee you would get it.

mellongoose Thu 09-Feb-17 06:25:44

I know you want to be vague but I don't understand why you have to tell your current boss that you are applying elsewhere.

That said I would get as far down the line as you can with this new application and then have an open and honest conversation with your boss. Make sure to let them know you are feeling undervalued after displaying loyalty.

mellongoose Thu 09-Feb-17 06:26:08

....and good luck!!!

ShotsFired Thu 09-Feb-17 06:26:22

stillpinching Should I leave an organisation that needs me

Thinking that was your first mistake. They don't need you, they are making use (taking advantage) of your loyalty and willingness to do more for less/nothing.

Nobody is indispensable. Apply for the new role and worry about possible resignations if and when you are offered it. And don't tell your supervisor. There is no law that says employees have to notify employers they are job hunting!

tribpot Thu 09-Feb-17 06:42:27

You may not be able to say but I'm intrigued as to why you would have to tell your boss before applying elsewhere. Assuming you're right, however - it's quite simple. At the moment, someone else has the job you want within your own organisation. So it's no brainer that you would apply for the role if it comes up somewhere else.

Your boss cannot offer you a job that someone else has, and I would be very wary if she makes any such claims - can you imagine being off sick and having someone else lining themselves up for your job?

I suspect you're right that the job would be advertised externally if/when it comes up. Recruiting from within doesn't bring any new blood into the organisation and there's some sense in seeing what the open market has to offer. I understand why you would feel hurt at that suggestion - who wouldn't? - but I don't think it's personal.

However, that's the point - this isn't personal, it's business. Acting up into the role (free of charge) has given you a great advantage when applying for a job on that level, now it's time to exploit that.

stillpinching Thu 09-Feb-17 10:01:21

It would go down extremely badly and is considered hugely disrespectful If a reference is asked for without an employee signalling that they were looking around/have made an application.

I know the benefits of getting 'new blood' in, but there are so many precedents where I am of people being promoted internally, so it would sting - more than a bit. Think I know what I have to do...

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 09-Feb-17 10:58:17

I can think of several jobs where references are sought prior to an offer. Teaching for one.

Still think an employment relationship goes two ways and like any bad relationship when I think stops being mutually beneficial you call it a day.

Blueroses99 Thu 09-Feb-17 11:01:43

Go for it. Getting a job offer might prompt your current employer to make a counteroffer in a bid to keep you, so think about how you would handle that. If it doesn't then they don't 'need' you, or at least think they don't! Good luck!

tribpot Thu 09-Feb-17 13:59:34

Ah if references would be sought before interview then yes, you do need to say something.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Feb-17 14:06:12

Why do references need to be sought before interview? It's more standard to seek references with the candidates permission before making a firm offer.
Certainly in the financial world, there's no question of informing your employers that you're just contemplating moving on.

Jaagojaago Thu 09-Feb-17 19:40:42

I needed to read his thread tonight.

Tomorrow I interview for a promotional position at a different employer.

All sorts of weird guilt type things are drifting across my mind eve of the interview as I email current colleagues about random work stuff. Not a soul knows of course, here.

So I needed to read this to have the confidence to do a good job at tomorrow's interview for myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now