Talk

Advanced search

School parking tactics

(6 Posts)
dunerose Fri 03-Feb-17 17:15:28

Does anyone have any examples of things that have worked to deter people from parking and driving dangerously at primary school gates? The school send the odd reminder but nothing changes. I'm keen for ideas to take to the parent / teacher council.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 03-Feb-17 18:39:10

Appoint a voluntary parking attendant to assist with directing to suitable spaces? Suitable parent who is made of tough stuff maybe?

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 03-Feb-17 18:43:05

My friend works at a school where they asked the police to pop by at home time and issue something (warnings maybe?). A PCSO used to follow up with regular appearances at the gate.

dunerose Fri 03-Feb-17 21:01:56

We can't get the police or parking wardens to help, at leat not often. I've seen them maybe twice at the school in 8 years.
I think we could get volunteers as it's a big issue and I'll suggest that, but some people get pretty feisty/ aggressive about it and I worry any volunteers would have a really hard time.

MarklahMarklah Fri 03-Feb-17 21:06:26

Watching with interest. People either say 'I'll only be am minute' and breeze off or hurl abuse at you. Even though they park so you can't see the zebra crossing as you approach it. A couple of weeks ago people were nearly knocked down by some idiot speeding along the road who seemed to think that the schoolkids on the crossing wanted to play 'chicken'.

isthistoonosy Fri 03-Feb-17 21:06:54

You could try getting people to report any near misses / almost accidents and then advertise these heavily in bulletins /sms/facebook etc
It might at least make people think about what they are doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now