Talk

Advanced search

Name Change on second marriage

(5 Posts)
MummyMoo3 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:43:12

Hello, Im new to this talking online thing but really need advice, so here goes! Should I change my name on second marriage or not? 2 of my sons don't want me to as they think I will be more linked to my future step children than to them. (and to new hubby's ex!)
I kept my maiden name when I married in 1998. I have three sons (17,14,10) I split from my first husband in terrible circumstances and he has since died. So my children and I have different surnames. I am getting married to my true love in July and had said I would take my new husband's surname as he really wants me to. He is very un-possesive but I felt it was a symbol of moving on with my life and being in his family which is v loving & strong. I didn't the first time for many reasons, one of which was that I always felt I belonged to my birth family and could not accept being 'owned' by another family (who were not the nicest family!) My parents have died now and so that reason is gone. Is there an option to partially change and how would you split it to keep all my men happy? Im totally divided now with what I want. Sorry its long!

WrittenandGrown Wed 01-Feb-17 09:25:43

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. Don't keep any of 'your men' happy. Do what you want with your name. Male people can change their names also if they want to match you.

ChinUpChestOut Wed 01-Feb-17 09:30:30

Could you hyphenate? Become Mummy Moo-TrueLove? That way you still remain you to your DC, and in time, if you want too you could drop Moo and just become Mummy TrueLove.

MummyMoo3 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:29:23

Thank you, both good advice. I wish I could actually be called Mummy Moo-TrueLove as it kinda describes the best bits of my life (Mummy moo is what the kids called me when v little)

MirandaWest Wed 01-Feb-17 17:37:19

I changed my surname when I married for the first time. My children have that surname.

Have now married for a second time. Have double barrelled the surname I had with my DHs surname. That way I share a surname with my children and also with my DH and DSS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now