Talk

Advanced search

Relationship with different work patterns

(5 Posts)
user1485734558 Mon 30-Jan-17 00:11:36

Hi MN!

I've started a relationship with someone wonderful, and though early days, looks promising. We trust each other and are happy.

I work 3-4 days in the week self employed, not weekends. They work in education, so lots of time off!

What are you thoughts and survival strategy and tips, for us both, in making it work long term, logistically, if any is needed? Vacations etc

The other person is very sociable and has friends around the country.

I would normally have a few weeks off a year, maybe 4-6, but doesn't match those in education.

Would it cause a strain?

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Mon 30-Jan-17 00:15:15

You sofk 3-4 days a week, so 4-3 days off every week. Youre not doing to bad for time off yourself. Presumably your new beau isnt a Teacher, or theyd be working weekends too so youd see them rarely in term time but 4-3 days a week in holidays?

I honestly dont see fhe problem?

Unless you dont trust each other???

user1485734558 Mon 30-Jan-17 00:37:17

Education = teacher. Yes, some weekend work, but still time together then.
I've addressed trust in my original post.
I'm talking more someone having 3-4 months off in 12 months, which doesn't necessarily match what you can take off.
Yes I work 4 days a week, them 5, so no overlap apart from weekends, which is normal for most.
I'm talking the big, chunks of times off, which won't overlap, and getting things to work in a trusting relationship.
I guess I worry they may get bored or frustrated me not being there til after work
But if I come to my senses, I guess they're very independent, self sufficient in keeping occupied and seeing friends/family.

Meowstro Mon 30-Jan-17 04:00:16

For a long time me and DH had differing work patterns. Initially he was PT (2-3 hours a day) and I was FT. It just meant that we had time apart to be independent from one another but he could be available to see me when I was free. Sounds like you could fit in some holidays together with your work schedule, you deserve time off from your work as well. It may be a blessing in disguise, it's not as difficult to work around his schedule.

Meowstro Mon 30-Jan-17 04:00:55

For a long time me and DH had differing work patterns. Initially he was PT (2-3 hours a day) and I was FT. It just meant that we had time apart to be independent from one another but he could be available to see me when I was free. Sounds like you could fit in some holidays together with your work schedule, you deserve time off from your work as well. It may be a blessing in disguise, it's not as difficult to work around his schedule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now