Talk

Advanced search

Parking scandal - a warning to everyone to keep your pay + display tickets!

(8 Posts)
TooOldForRadioOne Sat 28-Jan-17 10:49:37

Hi all,

I was scandalised recently to have received an aggressive letter through the post demanding £80 for a parking enfringement I did not commit.

It was through a terrible company called Smartparking (if only they were). They manage the parking at my local health centre (and many others). Seemingly Smart Parking are preying on vulnerable people to make a quick buck.

I paid the parking cost in cash. I stayed under the time. I then received a poorly written letter in the post 2 weeks later demanding payment to Smart Parking. Letter doesn't state my offence so I had to phone Smart Parking and be on hold for 20 mins to their premium rate number to find out they apparently have no record of my payment.

My only crime was not keeping my pay+display ticket beyond a week after visiting. Smart Parking threw out my appeal (them being judge, jury and executioner of course) and I had to cough up DESPITE already paying the parking charge and following the rules!

I am really angry and upset. Has anyone experienced similar? Please all - make sure you keep your pay+display tickets for proof - you cannot trust companies like Smart Parking even when you are having to take your poorly toddler to hospital.

PenguinRoar Sat 28-Jan-17 10:54:28

What was their proof you were parked without a ticket?

Sounds dreadful practice though.

stripeyreds0cks Sat 28-Jan-17 10:57:09

www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/smart-parking/

TooOldForRadioOne Sat 28-Jan-17 11:13:11

Dreadful indeed. They didn't supply any proof - just a grainy picture of my car registration entering and leaving with the times (1hr15 mins apart). Good point - no images of my car without a ticket!

PenguinRoar Sat 28-Jan-17 11:23:22

If you were at the health centre, can you ask the, for a copy of your appointment letter? You could appeal it on the grounds you were there on legitimate business and ask for their proof you did not have a ticket.

Catcrazy008 Sat 28-Jan-17 13:05:19

If it is private property it is not a valid fine. You only pay for a County fine.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sat 28-Jan-17 13:21:15

They are not judge, jury and executioner.
I had similar recently; the company was Parkwatch and they also rejected my appeal. I appealed to POPLA, the independent appeals agency and won.

SantasTipsyHelper Sat 28-Jan-17 23:23:56

Legally they cannot fine you as this is private land. They can charge you and if you don't pay it is breach of contract, for which they can take you to a civil court. The charge has to be reasonable. So they cannot charge you £80 for an hour and a quarter. You didn't breach the contract as you paid for a ticket and they don't have evidence that you didn't pay, only that you entered the car park. If they don't have evidence of your car without a ticket they don't have a leg to stand on. Challenge it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now