Talk

Advanced search

Family trouble

(6 Posts)
FamilyTies321 Wed 25-Jan-17 10:21:15

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice I am soon to be moving in to a coucil property with my partner and son I work part time my partner full time we don't earn enough to rent private. My partners mum wants to mortgage her own house and wants my partner to put his name on her mortgage as she can't get it without him on there. Will this affect us in our council home I feel a lot of pressure as his brother is on his case to do it and so is his mother but I don't want him to

ImperialBlether Wed 25-Jan-17 10:26:41

No way should he do that! She could sit back and never make a payment and your partner would have to pay it for her!

Why can't his brother do it if he's so keen?

Also, you're in a council house when she's buying, but he's paying? Makes no sense at all!

TiredAndRavenous Mon 30-Jan-17 13:11:44

Pretty sure You can't have a council house if you own your own property?

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Mon 30-Jan-17 13:15:05

When I got my house I had to sign a load of forms, one of which was declaring that my name wasn't on any rental or bought properties including holiday homes etc.

I don't think it's a good idea anyway because of the financial implications.

Can the brother not help if he thinks it's a good idea?

Kidnapped Mon 30-Jan-17 13:29:02

"My partners mum wants to mortgage her own house and wants my partner to put his name on her mortgage as she can't get it without him on there."

She can't get a mortgage without him because she cannot afford the payments alone. I'm with the others - no way should he do this. If she defaults then the mortgage company will come after him for the payments. There could be huge financial implications for him.

I'm not sure about the council house aspect but I can't imagine that housing homeowners is top of their priorities.

rollonthesummer Mon 30-Jan-17 13:30:46

Is she living in the house now? Sounds like a really bad idea! Why doesn't the brother do it if he thinks it's so brilliant?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now