Talk

Advanced search

School of Rock UK

(28 Posts)
Samesame68 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:17:07

I have sent this letter to The Really Useful Company and The School of Rock Uk and received no response. What do you think I should do. I'm not trying to censor their production I just think that if they are charging £100 plus for tickets they should earn parents of children under 10 of the swearing like the producers of any other form of entertainment so that parents can decide whether they want their children to be exposed to such language or not.
Dear Andrew Lloyd - Webber and Julian Fellowes,

For my son’s 12 birthday on the 25th of November I booked 9 tickets to come and see School of Rock UK. The children were aged between 7 and 12 and there were also several adults in our party. We all thoroughly enjoyed the performance and thought that the performers were incredible, the hard work and energy that goes into each performance must be immense. My children, and family, would love me to book for them to go again and friends have asked me if they should take their children to see the show but I’m afraid I have to broach the subject with some degree of hesitation because of the bad language.
I’m sure your show will be an enormous success and earn huge amounts of money so it doesn’t really matter whether I recommend School of Rock or not but it is terribly disappointing that I have to come away from such a breathtaking show explaining to my young companions why such swear words were allowed. I always say to my children that people who use bad language do so because they are not lucky enough know as many great words as we do or that it is a bad habit or laziness. I can’t imaging why two of the greatest living British wordsmiths would think it’s ok to pepper a show with such language when it is recommended for age 5 upwards with no warning. You clearly realise the mistake because you change the lyrics for television performances and if it was a television programme we as parents would be warned, but we are afforded no such right to choose whether we feel the language appropriate with your live performances.

As you can see from the date of our visit, I have wrestled with whether to email you or not. First of all it is very difficult to find a contact email address, I had to trawl several websites. My delay was also because the subject of language and what is common vernacular is quite divided. My 26 year old son and my husband who has lived in America were not as shocked as myself and the children by the offending words. I understand completely that the spirit of the show is rebellion and the original film is American where some of the words aren’t thought of as swearing. However, this is also true of Matilda and Tim Minchin managed to convey the energy and revolt with intelligent wit and clever use of the english language, and if you are proud of the lyrics then why change them for television ?

It’s really hard to explain the nuances of what is right and wrong to today’s young people, influenced as they are by social media, games consoles and street culture. School of Rock UK had the opportunity to show the youth of Great Britain that hard work, energy and determination can be just as thrilling and exciting, that you don’t need to swear to be dynamic and charismatic. Unfortunately, that opportunity has not been taken and yet another role model is telling my children that my standards of language are old fashioned and don’t matter. In a few short years 5 year olds will think it’s perfectly ok to tell their teachers and parents that they are pissed and people of your generation will say how dreadful the youth of today are and how the parents don’t bring them up correctly.

Poor form, Mr Lloyd - Webber and Mr. Fellowes. Poor form.

Regards

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 15:21:55

What words were you objecting to?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 19-Jan-17 15:29:44

Depends what the words are. I would have thought that a child who is old enough to sit through a full-length show without irritating other audience members is old enough to deal with 'bloody' and 'shit'. If it's worse, maybe you have a point...

FuckYouDailyMail Thu 19-Jan-17 15:31:29

Even Matilda has a Bloody 'Ell in it. Is it worse than that? Go on tell us grin

DoWop2 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:35:58

I am completely puzzled, there isn't any bad swearing in it IIRC? confused

LIZS Thu 19-Jan-17 15:40:29

If it was in November why complain now? confused

Haven't seen the show yet but wouldn't have thought it was on par with Billy Elliot, Les Mis etc language wise.

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 15:41:08

I'm dying to know what the words were.grin

Merrylegs Thu 19-Jan-17 15:42:43

Is it because they use Americanisms like 'pissed' to mean 'angry'? That's not really a swear word in the US though so I guess the language is just authentic.

<I love the expression ' poor form' though so props to signing off like that. It's a very Julian Fellowes phrase. You stuck it to the man OP>

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 15:48:06

If the OP doesn't come back soon and tell us what the words were, then all I can say is poor form, OP. Poor form. grin

My curiosity needs to be satisfied!

Samesame68 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:16:11

They say pi**ed a lot , stick up the middle finger, ar**. All fairly mild but not really for five year olds. I went to see it in November and wrote to them the next week then a few weeks later and then to School of Rock uk and haven't had a reply so just wondered whether I should drop it or whether other parents of under tens would want to know. They change the lyrics fo to appearances so they must be some rules for tv and film and different ones for theatre

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 16:18:38

Pissed and arse?

I really think you should drop it, OP. The kids will have heard much worse than this in the school playground.

TheNaze73 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:19:27

I'm sure they hear far worse in the playground at school.

Fruitcocktail6 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:21:24

Oh get a grip. Kids hear worse everyday. Theatre isn't going to be censored for your little snowflakes. I saw young teens in the theatre during Book of Mormon and they didn't seem to traumatised.

Fruitcocktail6 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:22:47

And did you really just censor the word arse?

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 16:23:02

You've probably provided a hearty laugh for the staff who read your letter, OP, so your time has not been completely wasted. smile

MakeItStopNeville Thu 19-Jan-17 16:26:36

That's a pretty long letter. If you're intent on sending it, I would edit it and keep to what's relevant. I don't think ALW really cares if your DH once lived in America, for example.

RainbowCake Thu 19-Jan-17 16:27:46

Well the film is a PG so I'd expect the musical to be similar.
Haven't you seen the actual film before this?
I hope you receive a reply.

PickAChew Thu 19-Jan-17 16:34:10

I would completely change your letter to ask why, when the cast are performing with americanised accents, they're saying arse, rather than ass.

But you are being somewhat ridiculous, OP. Even more ridiculous censoring those words - apart from the occasional hairy handed 14 year old, we're all adults here on mumsnet, where calling someone an atrocious cunt is a mark of respect.

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 16:35:20

Make, I think the OP has already sent it. Several times.

Brokenbiscuit Thu 19-Jan-17 16:38:32

I'm actually wondering if the OP isn't just having a bit of a giggle. I can't believe that anyone would really write three letters about this, get no reply and then wonder if she should pursue it further.

And the censorship of the words on here makes me even more suspicious....

ivebeenthereonholiday Thu 19-Jan-17 16:46:25

biscuit

Foldedtshirt Thu 19-Jan-17 16:49:47

I think the OP must be having a giggle.
greatest living British wordsmiths
😂😂😂

GinIsIn Thu 19-Jan-17 16:51:53

Mary Whitehouse is that you?! grin

Take a breath, unclench, forget it - you are really, really overreacting!

Firstly, 'pissed' and 'arse' aren't exactly dramatic swear words.

Secondly, the film is a PG, and the content of the stage show is similar - that should have given you an indication!

Thirdly, you are entirely wrong in your assumptions about use of the English language. The beauty of our language is that there's a word for everything and it has endless colour and variety. Sometimes the word 'onomatopoeic' is the perfect word you are looking for, and sometimes only 'cunt' will do - I love the English language and say why not use all of it, and am pretty sure a "wordsmith" would tell you the same!

Lastly, this is mumsnet. None of us are five - you don't need to sensor the word 'arse' on here. Hell, you can even say 'FUCK' if you want to.... grin

blueskyinmarch Thu 19-Jan-17 16:53:08

Really? Pissed and arse are swear words? Fuck me I never knew.

Samesame68 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:14:41

OK questioned answered. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now