Talk

Advanced search

School interview - take something of interest -wwyd?

(21 Posts)
Bushymuffmum Wed 18-Jan-17 00:18:39

Was going to post in education but don't really see it as that to be honest, more I want people's opinion/experience on this.

So, dd has been sitting entrance exams and we have found out she has got through to interview stage on all three (joy) this was then countered with one of the schools asking "that she bring along an item of interest to discuss"confused
Me and hubby are a bit like Whaaaat? The only object besides books that really interest my daughter are her iPhone and iPod and I don't think they would go down well..
Also don't think taking in a particular book would be acceptable? Whilst she has read some classics, the kind of books she really enjoys and could have a discussion about would be things like Enid Blyton and Tracy beaker!

I haven't actually talked to dd yet about interview stage as I just wanted to get her through the exams without stressing. So I casually asked her earlier if we were in a house fire what would she save besides her family and gadgets? She replied without much hesitation "uuum...my electric manicure kit"!!!
This is the thing with her and I'm slightly worried about the interviews in general (though I've no doubt she would be cope fine at all the schools) see, she's really bright and academic but she's also very girly. Loves anything to do with hair, makeup, nails, clothes etc - she spends hours watching tutorials online (even though shes not allowed make up outside the house) and I worry this could be her undoing at the interviews. She's not necessarily the kind of kid you could have a really in depth discussion about acadaemia with - she may not seem as clever as she actually is. (Her teacher recently told me he's agog at how quickly she works math problems out in her head, that he struggles to understand how she does it without marking down her workings out - she just does it all in her head.)
We're really hoping she gets into this school,in particular and I just want to be well prepared so we don't so screw it up at interview stage by taking something really daft in! Has anyone else been asked to do this? What did your kid take? If they failed at interview do you think it's because they took something shit in? Should I not over-think it? i need ideas, can't sleep for thinking about it - I'm mentally raking through every individual item we own!!
Wwyd??

Keeptrudging Wed 18-Jan-17 00:22:10

Get her to take something in from a favourite holiday, or that she was given when she was little etc. They're looking at how confidently she can talk, not the actual object. The manicure kit would let her show her personality, it just might limit how much she can expand on it.

LongHardStare Wed 18-Jan-17 00:51:56

Think about what conversation it would be good for her to have with the interviewers and go from there. So a tennis ball, swimming goggles, guitar tuner... Or if she prefers to stick to academics - something out of the science kit, French sweets, something from the park with an interesting fractal arrangement...

Bushymuffmum Wed 18-Jan-17 09:50:27

Thanks keep and long that's really helpful - it's more about confident speaking and expanding on a subject? (Goes off to google fractal arrangement...)!

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 18-Jan-17 15:32:21

My son took his history project that he'd been proud of in. The interviewer/teacher glanced at it and said are you interested in history? My son replied yes but I prefer maths. The interviewer (apparently a maths teacher) perked up and said can you do a Rubik's cube? Son replied - yes I taught myself on Youtube. teacher opened drawer and threw a Rubik's cube to him and said go on then and explain what you are doing. Once he had done the first 2 parts he said I see you know what you are doing but do you know why. Son answered that it was an 8 part algorithm (geek!).

Anyway the point of my story is that whatever item it is it is usually used as an icebreaker so that there is something to chat about if there is an awkward silence.

Best of luck for her interviews.

skyblu Wed 18-Jan-17 17:40:58

keeptrudging is right. It's about how confidently (& passionately) she can talk - so with that in mind it should be something that she's into in order to give her the best chance. She is who she is. If it's manicure's/make up/Tracy Beaker/iPods...all perfectly normal. Let her be true to herself & confident and genuine rather than forcing her to take something that really means squat to her.

GeorgeTheHamster Wed 18-Jan-17 17:42:59

Mine took a photo of a big Lego model he had made recently. At age ten that seemed appropriate. It wasn't a superselective school, mind.

GeorgeTheHamster Wed 18-Jan-17 17:44:31

I think Enid Blyton or Tracey Beaker would be fine - as long as she had read it recently.

Middleoftheroad Wed 18-Jan-17 17:44:46

what about a photo (if allowed?) of a family holiday, day out, pet. something that brings fond memories that she can talk happily about? is she in any clubs?

Middleoftheroad Wed 18-Jan-17 17:45:47

Mine wore his Blue Peter badge bless him!

Noteventhebestdrummer Wed 18-Jan-17 17:47:47

One of my students took her hamster...

Another took her violin.

It's fine whatever, they just want to see if she's articulate

wannabestressfree Wed 18-Jan-17 17:49:44

Also they will be looking to see who this is coming from e.g. If your coaching her. I would be more interested in her telling me why she liked her manicure set/ straighteners and I knew I was talking to the real her than a staged answer.....

Crumbs1 Wed 18-Jan-17 17:50:31

I might let her go with the nail stuff and talk about how people judge on appearance, feminism and suffrage, dizzy blondes and intellect something along that line.

stinky Wed 18-Jan-17 17:52:54

My nephew took his body board which generated a lot of interest from both potential pupils and staff outside the interview, and the interviewer. He got a place!

Middleoftheroad Wed 18-Jan-17 17:54:04

when my son went to interview last week, I left him with the words "be yourself and tgey will see what we see." I told him if they ask about TV shows then it's OK to say Red Dwarf over Horizon, Harry Potter over Shakespeare because it's genuine. we did look at hand shaking (he said it was cringey!).and making eye contact and that there are no right and wrong answers (only in his super tough maths papers yikes). good luck smile

Seeline Wed 18-Jan-17 17:54:37

Does she not have any extra curricular interests or hobbies?
I've known kids take along
parts of collections
cups/trophies/awards
souvenir from a holiday
projects

It's really just anything to get a conversation started

OutDamnedWind Wed 18-Jan-17 17:58:47

How old is she? Does she do any kind of clubs?

drinkyourmilk Wed 18-Jan-17 18:06:05

Honestly - they have already assessed her grades, they now want to know what kind of person she is and how she interacts with others. Encourage her to take something she is genuinely interested and excited about. Everything you mentioned is age appropriate. Far better she feels relaxed and confident talking about Tracey beaker, than being prompted into talking about something you think the school will find appealing.
And remember she already has an amazing resource and advantage- a parent that is encouraging her to do well.

Jasperthedog Wed 18-Jan-17 18:10:27

Mine took a Katie Price autobiography confused. She got in.

MycatsaPirate Wed 18-Jan-17 18:11:09

I would let her take in anything she loves talking about.

When DD's class had a 'bring something interesting in' day she took in the shed skin from the grass snake that lives in our garden. When we discovered it was living there and using our pond as it's sleeping spot in the summer (actually swimming in to reach the grassy stuff in the middle) she got really interested in learning about them and she could talk about them for ages now. And that's the most important thing.

She needs to have something that makes her light up inside so her true personality comes out.

Bushymuffmum Wed 18-Jan-17 20:32:32

jasperthedog -I actually own one of her books (it was the booby prize in a tombola)! Maybe I could give it to her! grin

Thanks so much to everyone on here - I feel much better prepared for it now - all fab ideas. She does play hockey/go to girl guides etc. but while she enjoys these activities I'm not sure she could wax lyrical about them. I think I'm going to suggest to her a souvenir from our favourite holiday destination, she has many interesting and fun memories she will be able to re-tell and it shouldn't seem contrived. All I've said to her is that they will probably just want to make sure she's able to hold a decent conversation (which she definitely can) and won't be someone afraid to stick their hand up in class. Hopefully they will see the clever and confident girl she is and if not- it's their hard cheese!!
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now