Talk

Advanced search

should i be talking to my son about not standing out?

(7 Posts)
ilovemypjs Mon 16-Jan-17 16:42:15

walking home from school today my ds2 (9 tomorrow) had walked on in front of me and ds3 as he was being a bit slow. Ds2 went round a corner first and was briefly out of my sight and i could see a group of high school teenagers pointing and laughing and as i came round corner i could see it was my ds they were laughing at. He was jumping and dancing and dabbing and in a world of his own. I can see why he looked funny and why the teenagers were laughing. So my question is should i make him walk by my side and have a word about how others may see him or should i just leave him to be himself?

doggle Mon 16-Jan-17 16:45:12

leave him to be himself. my 15yo is just the same. there comes a point when they quite like being 'different' but tbh jumping, dancing and dabbing sounds entirely normal.
he will self police if it starts to be a problem for him (i.e. if he notices other kids laughing and he doesn't like it) but hopefully that will never happen.

northernmonkey1010 Fri 20-Jan-17 23:08:13

Leave him be he's just having fun

user1477282676 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:02:27

Let him alone. He can jump if he likes..there's always going to be some idiot whose too afraid to express themself who will point.

Encourage him to be himself.

angeldiver Sun 22-Jan-17 14:04:55

Embrace his confidence smile

MapMyMum Sun 22-Jan-17 14:06:38

Leave him. We need more of your ds and less of those judgy teenagers in this world!

SecretWitch Sun 22-Jan-17 14:14:03

Bless. My 9 yr old DD is the same way. She dabs and makes up her own hip hop dance moves wherever we go. I just let her be. She is happy in her body and I don't want to say or do anything to make her self conscious. Screw anybody that thinks making fun of a child is alright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now