Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 child making "inappropriate" remarks

(16 Posts)
Newtssuitcase Mon 16-Jan-17 09:09:34

Seeking views really. I have been mulling this over over the weekend.

DS1 is in year 7 (aged 11) and has come home saying that one of his classmates who is muslim has been saying that he is going to "start a Christian holocaust"

Clearly this is completely inappropriate and offensive. On the other hand they are only 11 and the likelihood is that its silly bravado designed to impress and shock. This child is quite an aggressive child anyway and is one of the badly behaved children in the class.

Part of me thinks I say nothing at all. Another part of me thinks it should maybe be flagged with the school just in case he is being exposed to things he shouldn't be. I don't want to create a mountain out of a molehill though. We do know the parents but not well enough to raise such a sensitive topic.

WWYD?

MrsGB2015 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:11:20

I would flag it as an FYI to the school. If it was the other way around it would definitely be flagged. My school were very strict about these things.

mrsC4 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:11:44

If this was a non Muslim child saying they were going to start a Muslim holocaust it would cause fucking uproar. I would report it to the head - that child is obviously being exposed to that kind of talk hmm

Andrewofgg Mon 16-Jan-17 09:13:03

Report to school. At once. For the benefit of all including the child.

Newtssuitcase Mon 16-Jan-17 09:20:35

It's very difficult. I'm 99 percent sure he is just trying to get attention (albeit in a completely inappropriate way)

scaryteacher Sun 22-Jan-17 10:40:19

Report it please. We have to report anything like this that we find on the GCSE RE papers as a cause for concern, and this would be raising big red flags for me.

scaryteacher Sun 22-Jan-17 10:43:32

Meant to add, one of my team raised something like this with me in last summer's marking season; we flagged it, and the exam board took it up with the school.

A friend of mine who taught in outer London taught a kid with an attitude like this. She was unsurprised when he was killed by a drone strike a couple of years ago; it made the news.

Just report it.

lozengeoflove Sun 22-Jan-17 10:44:10

Teachers have an obligation go report this (Google Prevent Duty).

MrsKCastle Sun 22-Jan-17 10:45:08

Report it. Schools have to be very aware of any possible exposure to extremist views. They will want to keep an eye out.

Creatureofthenight Sun 22-Jan-17 10:52:25

Report it to the school. Even if he's just being provocative for the sake of it, the child needs to understand that this is not acceptable language.

longdiling Sun 22-Jan-17 10:54:01

Definitely report. As a childminder we are expected to look out for stuff like this as a safeguarding issue. It could well be bluster and showing off but it could also mean he's being exposed to things he shouldn't be.

noblegiraffe Sun 22-Jan-17 10:56:34

It doesn't matter why he said it, it needs reporting to the school. The school will deal with this under Prevent. There are people more qualified than you who will be able to decide if it's an issue.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 22-Jan-17 11:04:36

Report.

If school knows about this they will activate the 'prevent' procedures.

I agree - they are 11, they make stupid comments. But whether it's just uninformed off the cuff remarks by a badly behaved 11yo or a serious thought process is not for you to decide - it's for the authorities to investigate.

HappyVampire3 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:33:45

Report, ask to stay confidential and the school will (or should) stick to that. It may be that he's parroting views of people he knows.

We heard a little boy of about 8 talking about building a bomb (he was a little Muslim boy coming from a deprived family, he was sweet but was saying it as 'I know how to make one!' as if he was proud of himself, of course he didn't know any different) and we reported that.

Sittingunderafrostysky Fri 27-Jan-17 18:36:10

Report it - school will then deal with it appropriately. Just drop them an email.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 27-Jan-17 18:38:31

I hope you reported this OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now