Talk

Advanced search

Term time only job but starting 6 months before ds starts school?

(12 Posts)
CactusFred Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:54

Help.

I've seen a term-time only job that would be perfect for me. 35hrs pw.

Thing is, interview is Feb, month's notice makes it March.

Assuming (you never know!) I got an interview then the job then that would mean ds going term time only to to nursery but 5 days and he only currently goes 3 days as I work 22.5 hours but obvs not not term time only. Money works out about the same.

Would you make the sacrifice? I never wanted to work ft until he started school but it would only actually be 16 or so weeks ft in nursery as I'd be off the hols after that.

I've almost talked myself into applying just from writing this!

2cats2many Sun 15-Jan-17 21:24:24

Do it! Term time jobs are as rare as hens teeth.

ExcitedMamaToBe Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:06

Go for it!! Good luck!

AuntieStella Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:35

A term time job, that you like the look of and which pays enough?

Grab it straight away!

Girlsworld92 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:24

I would definitely go for it. Good luck.

xyzandabc Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:31

Yes. That term time job will be worth its weight in gold in 6 months time. And as someone mentioned it's not even 6 months of nursery, with 2 weeks for Easter, may half term then 6 weeks summer it's less than 4 months really.

I did something not dissimilar, gave up my decently paid part time job when dc3 was born with the intention of being a sahm until dc3 went to school. When he was 2, an ideal 20 hrs a week term time only, less than a mile from home job came up. I got it, so dc3 ended up in nursery 3 days a week which I hadn't intended but now it's fab having all the holidays off and not scrabbling around begging favours for holiday childcare for 3 kids (pretty impossible) or spending a fortune on holiday clubs.

CactusFred Sun 15-Jan-17 21:34:31

Well that's unanimous then! Thanks folks. I think I just needed you to tell me to get on with it ;-)

I'll apply tomorrow when I haven't got Sunday evening sleepy brain. Fingers crossed.

xyzandabc Sun 15-Jan-17 21:37:14

I do wonder though, if it's 35hrs a week, will you be paying for both before and after school care 5 days a week? That can seriously add up, remember to factor it in to your plans, as a term time only job only pays term time money!
Also check the hours, are they flexible enough to let you do at least 1 or 2 school runs, would it impact on your ability to take your DS to any after school activities??

xyzandabc Sun 15-Jan-17 21:38:09

Do get on with it though! You can run through the nitty gritty when they offer you the role!

CactusFred Sun 15-Jan-17 21:41:38

xyzandabc I was just thinking the same, but planning on worrying about that if it came to it like you said. Got to get an interview then not eff it up first. hmm

Oblomov16 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:46:33

God yes!! I took a part time job in the May before ds2 started school. It was tricky, that 5 months: we asked favours, wiggled it. But 4 years later, I still love my job. Best thing I ever did.

Starlight2345 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:47:36

I would jump at it.
I did increased hours at Nursery for my DS the term before he started school to gradually increase the long days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now