Talk

Advanced search

Changing hairdresser when she's become a friend

(4 Posts)
WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sat 14-Jan-17 15:06:43

Hi all, I'll try not to make this too long.

The same lady has cut my hair on and off, but mostly on, for nigh on 30 years now. During this time she's mostly worked out of her home so appointments are always relaxed and informal and over the years she has become a friend. I had my children during these years who have often been with me for haircuts and they also really like her and like going to her house. Recently she's been through a terrible time and lost her husband after he was diagnosed with cancer only months before so, understandably, she didn't work for a while and another friend of mine, also a hairdresser, did it for me. She did a brilliant job of it, better than my regular hairdresser/friend plus it's so convenient as we live in the same village and she also works from home so I can pop there after the school run etc. However I feel so bad dropping my original lady at this awful time in her life and sad as the kids think a lot of her too and vice versa. I know we could ostensibly remain friends and still see each other but I don't think that'd happen as I think she'd be hurt. Has anyone else been in this situation and, if so, how did you deal with it? Any advice at all though would be gratefully received! TIA

Maverick66 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:25:11

Sorry no advice. I am in a similar situation my hairdresser is my friend. She has become stuck in a rut with styling and colours and I just grin and bear it.

What if you went to original hairdresser for the odd blow dry or colour but get new lady to cut your hair and style it?

My children do this now they are older. They go to my/their original hairdresser but if they have something on they go to a younger more modern stylist.

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Sat 14-Jan-17 15:57:57

Thanks Maverick, I couldn't do this unfortunately as my hair is cropped very short and I don't have it coloured. Because it's so cropped I get it cut very frequently and the new hairdresser has got it just right whereas my regular lady, whilst good (she was the one who originally cropped it for me years ago), can also be a bit hit and miss with it in latter years. Thanks again though!

Mulberry72 Sat 14-Jan-17 22:28:40

Cuckoo I'm in the same situation, my hairdresser has done my hair for approx 10 years, her DS also goes to the same school as my DS so I see her at drop off/pick up.

I really want to go to the local salon and get my colour sorted out (it's got about 10 years of red home colour on it and it's a mess IMO).

I hate upsetting anyone so I've decided this, DS leaves school for secondary school next July so I'll hang on until then and then I'll go to the salon and get it sorted and at least I won't be bumping into her into the playground! She is lovely BTW, and I don't want to rock the boat! God I'm a coward!!! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now