Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd, friend not giving money back

(11 Posts)
Pritchyx Tue 10-Jan-17 14:46:26

Me and my friend were meant to go to Liverpool last month but she was rushed into hospital. I spoke to hotel and managed to get an extended grace period to rebook a room.
I wanted to go end of Jan, she wanted to go first week. We compromised to this weekend - she told me 2 weeks ago that she doesn't want to go so I didn't book the room again..
she text me today saying she's going with someone else so I asked for my £30 of the room rate back... she's refusing it but is basically taking someone else using what I've paid for it.

Wwyd?
How am I going to get the money back?!

AyeAmarok Tue 10-Jan-17 14:52:45

What is her reason for refusing?

Tell her that you intend to use it (even if you don't) so her friend can't use your reservation. But if she (her friend) wants to buy yours off you rather than book their own then you might do that.

Then I'd distance myself from this "friend".

StorminaBcup Tue 10-Jan-17 14:57:37

Cancel the room and write off the loss. Ditch the friend as well.

joangray38 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:58:27

Whose name is the booking under? If it's yours just give her money back and take someone else or if you can't find someone else tell her to either go on the dates you want but I can't imagine you will have a fun weekend with her now .

NotStoppedAllDay Tue 10-Jan-17 15:01:22

What's she actually said?

Pritchyx Tue 10-Jan-17 15:32:21

The booking was in her name and I was an accompany - she said "I'd be losing out either way if we didn't go" but I said that now she has someone else going, her friend can pay me my half of the room.

I can't go as I have to work and also have to visit a relative in Newcastle on Friday.
She has stooped disgustingly low in some of the comments made over text when I've only asked for my money back.

She has also just text saying there was no booking so now we both lose out - I will check this with the hotel as the grace period for booking a room was extended until 30th Jan... I feel like she's trying to scam me out of my £30 by saying we're not both losing out due to the booking being "cancelled".

Pritchyx Tue 10-Jan-17 15:33:55

The booking was in her name and I was an accompany - she said "I'd be losing out either way if we didn't go" but I said that now she has someone else going, her friend can pay me my half of the room.

I can't go as I have to work and also have to visit a relative in Newcastle on Friday.
She has stooped disgustingly low in some of the comments made over text when I've only asked for my money back.

She has also just text saying there was no booking so now we both lose out - I will check this with the hotel as the grace period for booking a room was extended until 30th Jan... I feel like she's trying to scam me out of my £30 by saying we're not both losing out due to the booking being "cancelled".

anyname123 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:35:34

I'd write off the £30 and fuck her off, she's not much of a friend

HorridHenryrule Tue 10-Jan-17 15:40:27

That is not what I call friend she is being tight and will probably never give you your money back.

JustSpeakSense Tue 10-Jan-17 15:40:32

Obviously this friendship is over.

I'd be inclined to just drop it now, she has shown her true colours and you definitely don't need a 'friend' like this in your life.

Unfortunately it has cost you £30, but a lesson well learned. Her behaviour is unacceptable, and she has gained £30 but lost a valuable friend. You, on the other hand, have lost a user and a liar. I'd say you are the winner really.

Why don't you just walk away and not exert any more energy over this. Concentrate on those people in your life who treat you well.

HorridHenryrule Tue 10-Jan-17 15:42:25

Just read your post properly I think out of principle tell her to stick the money up where the sun don't shine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now