Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Own room situation

(4 Posts)
kel12345 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:55:34

Okay, first please no comments that he should have been in his own room a long time ago, because neither my husband or I were ready to move him.
However, our little boy is now 16 months and still sleeping in his cot in our bedroom. While he's okay in the cot, personally I think he would sleep even better in a toddler bed with bed guards. He isn't walking unaided yet, and we won't be moving him until 18 months at the earliest, but not until he is walking confidently.
At first my plan was to put his bed where the cot is now. But when I was cleaning today, I realised that once he can get out of bed and walk around, he could get our stuff on the dressing table, our phone chargers, anything we have at his reach (my mum ended moving everything because she my sister was in her room as she didn't hav a spare room). So then I thought (as reluctant as we both are to do it), maybe putting the bed in his own room would be for the best, where it's safer and he would only have things he is allowed in there.
We need to decorate the room first which isn't a problem and won't take that long. But now I'm thinking would it be a good idea to put him in his own room in the cot first? To get him used to being in his own room? So by the time the bed comes he will be used to it?
Or should we leave him, and put the bed in our room first, until he is used to sleeping in the bed? Then move it.
Also, what do you even put in a toddlers room? Obviously there would be the bed, wardrobe, chest of draws. Then I was thinking some shelves with his teddies on, some toys, books for bedtime stories. Nice curtains and a nice rug maybe? Some of his toys, but I'd be worried he'd play instead of sleep? Some cushions on the floor? (I'll put a table and chairs when he's a bit bigger, but I'd be worried he might fall if he tried to do it himself. Or am I underestimating how much more independent he will be when he can walk?)
There will be a video monitor so we can see him, and a baby gate at the door for extra security. Anything else?
Any advice welcome.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 07-Jan-17 19:02:35

My DD is 14 months and in a toddler bed in her own room. I don't have advice on how to transition from your current situation but. I strongly advise that whatever furniture you put in the room is fixed to the wall. Her room contains a bed, a bookcase, a chest of drawers and a wardrobe and apart from the bed they are all secured so that if she's awake and alone in her room it's as safe as we can make it. There are also a couple of high shelves which are useful for keeping nappies etc away from her.

kel12345 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:04:06

That's a good point. Thanks for that.

PinkyOrTank Mon 09-Jan-17 23:07:44

My DD has only just gone into a toddler bed, having been in her cot (in own room) until nearly 3yo! She is very independent but loved the cot and we saw no reason to force the transition. Only eventually did so as I'm now heavily pregnant and lifting her in/out was getting hard. So I'd say, do what you all feel comfortable with; no need to force own room/toddler beds until you're ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now